Having trouble deploying Phoenix 1.7

I built a fresh app with the new Phoenix 1.7.0-rc.0 build and am attempting to deploy it to Digital Ocean like I normally do. I’m having some issues though… My build typically follows this path:

1. Push code from local to github repo
  2. Pull code to deployment server at /home/app
  3. Build release with MIX_ENV=prod mix distillery.release
  4. Copy build to /opt/app
  5. tar -xzf app.tar.gz
  6. bin/app start

The app starts and there is nothing in the log files indicating a problem, however I get a 502 Bad Gateway error from NGINX.

I’ve confirmed that I have enabled server: true in the endpoint config as well as config :phoenix, :serve_endpoints, true

As a test, I built the release with just mix release and when I start the release it works perfectly (I can go to the url and nginx forwards everything appropriately). However, I’d like to use distillery for the upgrade functionality. I’m just wondering if something changed in Phoenix 1.7 that would cause it to not work correctly? Having trouble diagnosing the issue with no errors in the logs. It seems like the app is not being started on port 4000 for NGINX to forward to. But I don’t know how to check why that is or what port it actually is being set to.

Here is the relevant config in runtime.exs scoped under prod:

config :my_app, MyAppWeb.Endpoint,
    http: [port: 4000],
    url: [host: host, port: 80],
    secret_key_base: secret_key_base,
    server: true

config :phoenix, :serve_endpoints, true

Any help is appreciated.

I figured it out! Distillery ignores runtime.exs. I looked at the module config with Application.get_env in the remote console and noticed that all the runtime config of the endpoint was missing. I moved that code to prod.exs and everything works as expected.

1 Like