darkmarmot

darkmarmot

At HCA Healthcare (500k employees and contractors), we’re currently experimenting with Elixir for both data integration (to handle parsing, routing and manipulating millions of messages to tens of thousands of connections) and also using it in our data science department.

I know that another Nashville healthcare company, Aspire, is using Elixir heavily in production.

With increased demand for realtime IoT data and predictive analytics, Elixir seems like a great fit for the coming needs in our industry.

We are trying to drive adoption by releasing open source projects in the language. Our first release recently went live for HL7 (the old international standard for healthcare messages).

We should hopefully be releasing an MLLP library (an old streaming protocol used heavily healthcare) and we are currently working on an Elixir FHIR library (the new international healthcare messaging standard).

I’m curious if other healthcare companies are working in Elixir right now? I’d love to connect and help push the language into our industry as I believe it could be incredibly beneficial (and save lives through better healthcare for everyone!).

Showing Posts 1 to 10

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

I work at a healthcare-related company, ScriptDrop that runs on Elixir. We coordinate couriers & pharmacies to get prescriptions delivered to patients. We don’t have a ton of open-source stuff at the moment, but there is this little library:

https://github.com/ScriptDrop/elixir_signed_overpunch

We use it to handle the “signed overpunch” format that NCPDP D.0 transmissions use for some fields.

We started out using Phoenix + Elixir as “fast Rails” with some extra binary-protocol-handling goodness for D.0. We’re now getting into more Elixir-y things with GenStateMachine.

darkmarmot

darkmarmot OP

I’ve never even heard of NCPDP! Will have to read up on it! Awesome! :slight_smile:

blatyo

blatyo

Conduit Core Team

I know Iora Health uses Elixir and Pill Pack was seriously considering it, but I don’t know if they eventually did.

yurko

yurko

They actually have a huge Elixir project in Ukraine, it was used to reform and digitalise the healthcare system.

It’s also open source https://github.com/edenlabllc/ehealth.api

Here’s a talk about it:

10
Post #4
hauleth

hauleth

I have been working on EMR system Helium Health and whole application is written in Elixir. I also have been working on FHIR implementation in Elixir, but since then I have switched the job.

sribe

sribe

Cool. I had to do a little HL7 once, but so little that I could use very simple template strings. Nice to know this exists for more sophisticated needs.

darkmarmot

darkmarmot OP

Wow, an Elixir EMR! that rocks!

chauhonglinh

chauhonglinh

It seems that you guys have green wide eyes WOW about Elixir :smile:

I have used Elixir about 5 years, in which I use 2 years of Elixir and Phoenix in production for a Pharmacy-related company.
Good things I can say about Elixir:

  • Good, simple parallel programming paradigm.
  • Kind of stable and not much error prone.

Other than that, I wish I would have chosen Ruby or Python to implement my current production system all the time, all day, every day. Because of the nature of immutable languages, it is a super pain to implement complex business logics that require keeping states and passing states around.
Things I would have finished within one day in Ruby or Python take me about a week in Elixir. And trust me, I write Elixir nearly as well as I write Ruby, and much better than I write Python. Still Elixir productivity is nothing to write home about.

And despite whatever other people say that Elixir is close to Ruby, there is nothing further from the truth. I have worked with Elixir for 5 years, write Elixir code for production system everyday, and I still have to look in docs for function references. Elixir’s syntax is very counter-intuitive. Its syntax is just better than Erlang :slight_smile:

tmbb

tmbb

This is an interesting perspective. For me it’s the opposite way around.

For low-level details of the code, mutability and direct pointer references make some things much easier (for example, everything having to do with graph algorithms, DOM manipulations, etc). I know because I’ve tried to do these things in Elixir and they are a pain.

However, for higher level program logic, elixir’s immutability seems like a positive thing, although probably less performant.

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

I know Nedap Healthcare from Netherlands is using Elixir extensively, which is a public knowledge as they posted ads and been hiring Elixir people and also have published open source Elixir code (so so am not breaching any NDA I may or may not have doing so ;)).

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews