sergey-chechaev

sergey-chechaev

Hello, I don’t find any common approach to start heavy work or children’s processes after DynamicSupervisor started. When we restart application or DynamicSupervisor is crash, we need to start DynamicSupervisor children’s processes or do heavy work as the handle_continue function when we use GenServer. In our project, we use start_link for this:

defmodule SomeDynamicSupervisor do

  use DynamicSupervisor
  alias SomeGenServer

  def start_link(_) do
    with link <- DynamicSupervisor.start_link(__MODULE__, %{}, name: __MODULE__) do
      Task.async(fn -> start_child_processors() end)
      link
    end
  end

  def init(_) do
    DynamicSupervisor.init(strategy: :one_for_one, max_restarts: 10)
  end

  def start_child_processors do
    SomeLogic.list_of_ids()
    |> Enum.each(&init_processor/1)
  end

  def init_processor(some_id) do
   
    opts = [name: NameGenerator.processor_registry_name(some_id)]

    DynamicSupervisor.start_child(__MODULE__, %{
      id: "#{SomeGenServer}_#{some_id}",
      start: {SomeGenServer, :start_link, [opts]}
    })
  end
end

What pitfalls does this approach have? Perhaps there is a better way. Can anyone share it with me?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Why would you use a DynamicSupervisor is instead of a static/normal one here? It feels like a normal supervisor would suite your need better.

sergey-chechaev

sergey-chechaev OP

I need to create processes dynamically. But it’s not matter. My question what the best practice to start a bunch of children processes when we start DynamicSupervisor.

kwando

kwando

I would nest the DynamicSupervisor under another Supervisor with the strategy :rest_for_one and also add a setup Task after the DynamicSupervisor in that supervisor.

Supervisor(strategy: :rest_for_one)
  |----> DynamicSupervisor
  |----> SetupTask / GenServer

If your DynamicSupervisor crash it will be detected by the Supervisor.

  • It will kill the SetupTask / GenServer
  • restart DynamicSupervisor
  • restart your SetupTask / GenServer
sergey-chechaev

sergey-chechaev OP

Great, we also considered this option. But we wanted to make it a little easier for understanding and putted the warm-up function to DynamicSupervisor. Also, DynamicSupervisor started by application.ex so supervisor up it if it fails and DynamicSupervisor run warm-up function itself. One best thing that start_link guaranteed that DynamicSupervisor is up.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Ordering for supervisor children is guaranteed. If the process to start your task is after the DynamicSupervisor child then it will only run once the DynamicSupervisor is indeed successfully started. You’re not making this simpler, by trying to mush together different responsibilities.

sergey-chechaev

sergey-chechaev OP

Yes, maybe you are right that we need to share responsibility like suggest @kwando:

Supervisor(strategy: :rest_for_one)
  |----> DynamicSupervisor
  |----> SetupTask / GenServer
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews