Hello Elixir World (Introductions thread)

Hi, I am Pedro Vieira from São Paulo, Brazil.
I am a co-founder and CTO of a cybersecurity startup called PhishX.
We migrated all our code and redesign it with Elixir.

8 Likes

Hi, Elixir community! :wave:

This is Daniel from Romania :romania:

I am thrilled to be part of this journey of learning Elixir and Phoenix

I don’t have crazy long years of experience as I have just graduated uni. I have been working mainly with C# and JavaScript (2 years). So, the OOP has been part of my daily work.

Now, I feel the need of going fully with a FP language :+1:

See you in other threads :smile:

8 Likes

Hi all! Been lurking 'round here far too long.
I’m Edward Smit from the Netherlands.
I hope to start my first production-grade Elixir project really soon :crossed_fingers:t4:

6 Likes

Hey!

I am Max (25) living in the wonderful city Hamburg in Germany.
I work as a system administrator and have my own part-time business.
Now i want to offer more than just administration and consulting, so i want to learn Elixir for different purposes.

Thanks for the great answer i got so far. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hello!

I’m Tangui, now living in Saint-Petersburg. I fell in love with the simple yet powerful expressiveness of Erlang 8 years ago at a functional programming course at school and played with it a bit at that time. Then I started a career in IT consulting and forgot about it, and 2-3 years ago I discovered Elixir. I quit my job a few weeks ago, now learning Elixir part-time and I do have some ideas :slight_smile: Thanks all for the great community! Have already learnt a lot.

I used to work on IAM (identity & access management) topics, in particular on OAuth2, OpenID Connect and SAML2 stuff lately, I’d be glad to share my experience.

Have a great day!

8 Likes

Welcome to the community, @tangui!

Did you quit your job to pursue a career as an Elixir programmer?

Nice! I’m sure @danschultzer would love an extra hand with Pow, if you’re interested.

Check out this thread for more info:

4 Likes

Hi, thanks for welcoming!

I quit for many reasons, having time to effectively code in Elixir was one of them. Becoming a full-time programmer could definitely become an option but not for now, as I want to focus on some ideas and projects I have, and simply acquire Elixir/Erlang/OTP skills :slight_smile:

Saw the thread about Pow, definitely insteresting! There are a lot of libs for authentication (Uberauth for instance) and access control, and I’ve had no time to check them all. I’d like to implement a lib for WebAuthn authentication also (W3C spec). And Liveview library seems promising for authentication flows (with in-place replacement of the elements of the page).

5 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Kalbir and I’m based in London, UK. I’ve been dabbling with Elixir for about 3 years since someone lent me the Dave Thomas, Programming Elixir book which I loved!

For the past few years I’ve been product manager/team lead for devops and cloud teams, a consultant on cloud projects and been running my own company that does infrastructure/cloud projects.

I’m taking a couple of months off work and I want to move beyond my current programming level of “I can write a smallish script in 3 or 4 programming languages”, so I’m going to be doing a few projects :slight_smile:

I’ve always been super impressed by how welcoming the Elixir community is, and how fun it is to write code in Elixir – I find it’s the language I’m always reaching for whenever I need to write some code!

9 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m Faraz from Bangalore, India. I started tinkering with Elixir last year and have been in love with language ever since.

Most recently I have created a new blockchain backend (based on a new kind of sparse Merkle tree) in Elixir. It implements most of the constructs in Erlang OTP and the code is quite manageable unlike other languages.

If anyone wants to know more about it, here’s the link https://github.com/ZanjeerPlatform/bargad

Have a great day!

8 Likes

Hi, I’m Sarat from Bangalore (India). I’m a React, ROR dev and an elixir enthusiast.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community, @kalbir, @farazhaider and @sarat1669 :slight_smile:

I’m glad you’re here.

I’m sure the Elixir community would welcome any contributions to the infrastructure and deployment story, be it blog posts, libraries, etc. There is a lot of potential for improvement in that area.

As an “odds-and-ends-scripter,” I know the feeling all too well :slight_smile:

Cool! I don’t know much about blockchain myself, but I know there’s a sub-group of developers in the Elixir community who are into that. You might want to follow Anna Neyzberg for some leads.

Here is a relevant talk that she gave at ElixirConf US 2018:

There are many former Rubyists around here, so you’re in good company :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Good on you for taking that scary step and making the career you want to have. :+1:

That would be awesome and a very welcome addition to the community!

5 Likes

Hi, this is YekSoon from Singapore.

I move between Singapore, HK and China. Those are our key markets.

We are building a new platform targeting fast growing startups in China.

And is evaluating Phoenix as a contender

8 Likes

Hey there! My name is Johnathon.

I picked up Programming Elixir 1.6, Programming Phoenix Beta, and Programming Ecto Beta . . .

I plan on rebuilding my companies website. Wish me luck!

7 Likes

Hi all! My name is Stefan, I am from Slovakia (that’s in Europe :smile:)

After years of PHP, Ruby, Objective-C and Swift, I am doing Elixir/Phoenix full-time for almost 2 months now and I love it. It feels so good to write so simple, testable and powerful code.

Now I just need to wrap my head around the deployment. :sweat_smile:

Have a nice day.

8 Likes

Welcome!

LOL :grin:

The good news about this is that deployment has improved recently. And there is a lot of ongoing effort to improve it further - so hang in there!

6 Likes

Hey! My name is Felipe and I live in South Florida.

I come from a few years of Ruby/Rails and Common Lisp web development. Prior to that I had a short stint doing C#/.NET.

7 Likes

Hi, I’m Rubi, From Papua, Indonesia

8 Likes

Hi, all. I’m Nick from Louisiana (United States). I’m a senior software developer @newaperio, specializing in Elixir. My other interests include tabletop gaming, game design, and the Vim text editor.

Cheers! :purple_heart:

8 Likes

:wave: Hey Elixir Forum. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I’m the founder of @newaperio where I work with @ngscheurich and others. Elixir Forum was a big help as I was learning Elixir (coming from a mostly Rails background) and we’re excited to be new sponsors of the forum!

8 Likes