Seyi

Seyi

I noticed the default email verifaction set by gen.auth is to save email localy, So I tried using SMTP but I have been facing some issues, I was able to fix it up to some point, but am not sure I know what’s really wrong again

here is there error log

[error] GenServer #PID<0.1077.0> terminating
** (BadMapError) expected a map, got: []
    (gen_smtp 1.2.0) :mimemail.ensure_content_headers/7
    (gen_smtp 1.2.0) c:/Users/seyi/Desktop/goolify/deps/gen_smtp/src/mimemail.erl:204: :mimemail.encode/2
    (swoosh 1.16.3) lib/swoosh/adapters/smtp.ex:55: Swoosh.Adapters.SMTP.deliver/2
    (goolify 0.1.0) lib/goolify/mailer.ex:2: anonymous fn/2 in Goolify.Mailer.instrument/3
    (telemetry 1.2.1) c:/Users/seyi/Desktop/goolify/deps/telemetry/src/telemetry.erl:321: :telemetry.span/3
    (goolify 0.1.0) lib/goolify/account/user_notifier.ex:15: Goolify.Account.UserNotifier.deliver/3
    (goolify 0.1.0) lib/goolify_web/live/user_registration_live.ex:108: GoolifyWeb.UserRegistrationLive.handle_event/3
    (phoenix_live_view 0.20.9) lib/phoenix_live_view/channel.ex:507: anonymous fn/3 in Phoenix.LiveView.Channel.view_handle_event/3
    (telemetry 1.2.1) c:/Users/seyi/Desktop/goolify/deps/telemetry/src/telemetry.erl:321: :telemetry.span/3
    (phoenix_live_view 0.20.9) lib/phoenix_live_view/channel.ex:260: Phoenix.LiveView.Channel.handle_info/2
    (stdlib 5.1.1) gen_server.erl:1077: :gen_server.try_handle_info/3
    (stdlib 5.1.1) gen_server.erl:1165: :gen_server.handle_msg/6
    (stdlib 5.1.1) proc_lib.erl:241: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3

Am using Google smtp, The Config seems very fine to me and the Swoosh.Adapters.SMTP.deliver/2 is also okay, obviously I am missing something, I am new to phoenix , I will really appreciate your help.
Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 5

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hi @Seyi it’s pretty hard to help if you don’t show your code.

Seyi

Seyi OP

Here are the relevant part of the code You might need to see

Config

config :goolify, Goolify.Mailer,
  adapter: Swoosh.Adapters.SMTP,
  relay: "smtp.gmail.com",
  username: "me@mail.com",
  password: "my-mail-password",
  ssl: true,
  tls: :always,
  auth: :always,
  port: 465,
  retries: 2,
  no_mx_lookups: false

userNotifier file

  defp deliver(recipient, subject, body) do
    email =
      new()
      |> to(recipient)
      |> from({"Goolify", "admin@mail.com"})
      |> subject(subject)
      |> text_body(body)

     case Mailer.deliver(email) do
      {:ok, _metadata} ->
        {:ok, email}

      {:error, reason} ->
        {:error, reason}
    end
  end
dacz

dacz

Hi @Seyi , I fought with SMTP settings yesterday and this changes in config worked for me:

…
ssl: false,
tls: :always,
tls_options: [verify: :verify_none],
auth: :always,
port: 587,
…

I have no idea, why the port is this one (my SMTP provider gave me standard 465) but I tried all combinations and read many questions/answers online.

I believe that TLS will somehow negotiate secure connection. TLS options for verify just tells that you do not want it to verify email server certificate. I think (not sure) that if you would like to do it, you will need to set up some proper certs…

Hope it will work for you, too.

shuiRong

shuiRong

This might help someone: the method above didn’t work for me, maybe because my OTP version is 27. I ended up solving the issue easily using Swoosh’s Mua.

https://github.com/swoosh/swoosh/issues/785#issuecomment-1998915666

kihikasamuel

kihikasamuel

For anyone looking for an answer in 2026, this link TLS + SMTP Error when using OTP/26 · Issue #785 · swoosh/swoosh · GitHub might be helpful.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews