banano

banano

Hi guys!

I’m trying to upgrade the current library for phoenix socket client for elixir itself https://github.com/Aircloak/phoenix_gen_socket_client, which is more than a year old and works for 1.3, but has several outdated things, like Poison dependency, cowboy, among others, and i can’t fix the tests.

It creates a generic base phoenix app, but fails to launch the endpoint:

     ** (EXIT from #PID<0.265.0>) shutdown: failed to start child: Phoenix.PubSub.PG2
         ** (EXIT) shutdown: failed to start child: Phoenix.PubSub.LocalSupervisor
             ** (EXIT) an exception was raised:
                 ** (ArgumentError) argument error
                     (stdlib) :ets.new(TestSite.Endpoint, [:set, :named_table, {:read_concurrency, true}])
                     (phoenix_pubsub) lib/phoenix/pubsub/local_supervisor.ex:24: Phoenix.PubSub.LocalSupervisor.init/1
                     (stdlib) supervisor.erl:295: :supervisor.init/1
                     (stdlib) gen_server.erl:374: :gen_server.init_it/2
                     (stdlib) gen_server.erl:342: :gen_server.init_it/6
                     (stdlib) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3

The weird thing is that i run on iex :ets.new(TestSite.Endpoint, [:set, :named_table, {:read_concurrency, true}]) and runs ok

this is the declaration of the testSite:

defmodule TestSite do
  @moduledoc false

  defmodule PubSub do
    @moduledoc false
    def start_link(), do: Registry.start_link(keys: :duplicate, name: TestSite.PubSub)

    def subscribe(subscriber_key), do: Registry.register(__MODULE__, subscriber_key, nil)

    def notify(subscriber_key, message) do
      __MODULE__
      |> Registry.lookup(subscriber_key)
      |> Enum.map(fn {pid, _value} -> pid end)
      |> Enum.each(&send(&1, message))
    end
  end

  defmodule Endpoint do
    @moduledoc false
    use Phoenix.Endpoint, otp_app: :phoenix_gen_socket_client

    socket("/test_socket", TestSite.Socket, websocket: true, longpoll: false)
    socket("/test_socket_updated", TestSite.SocketUpdated, websocket: true, longpoll: false)

    @doc false
    def init(:supervisor, config) do
      {:ok,
       Keyword.merge(
         config,
         https: false,
         http: [port: 29_876],
         secret_key_base: String.duplicate("abcdefgh", 8),
         debug_errors: false,
         server: true,
         pubsub: [adapter: Phoenix.PubSub.PG2, name: __MODULE__]
       )}
    end
  end
...

any clues?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

This probably means the endpoint is already started, or that there is at least an :ets table with that name already:

iex(1)> :ets.new(TestSite.Endpoint, [:set, :named_table, {:read_concurrency, true}])
TestSite.Endpoint
iex(2)> :ets.new(TestSite.Endpoint, [:set, :named_table, {:read_concurrency, true}])
** (ArgumentError) argument error
    (stdlib) :ets.new(TestSite.Endpoint, [:set, :named_table, {:read_concurrency, true}])

Maybe that helps point you in the right direction?

banano

banano OP

I checked ets tables right before start, and there’s no table with that name:

the endpoint:

  defmodule Endpoint do
    @moduledoc false
    use Phoenix.Endpoint, otp_app: :phoenix_gen_socket_client

    socket("/test_socket", TestSite.Socket, websocket: true, longpoll: false)
    socket("/test_socket_updated", TestSite.SocketUpdated, websocket: true, longpoll: false)

    @doc false
    def init(:supervisor, config) do
      IO.inspect(:ets.all |> Enum.filter(fn x -> is_atom(x) end))
      {:ok,
       Keyword.merge(
         config,
         https: false,
         http: [port: 29_876],
         secret_key_base: String.duplicate("abcdefgh", 8),
         debug_errors: false,
         server: true,
         pubsub: [adapter: Phoenix.PubSub.PG2, name: __MODULE__]
       )}
    end
  end

the test results:

phoenix_gen_socket_client % mix test
Compiling 1 file (.ex)
[:telemetry_handler_table, :ssl_pem_cache, :httpc_manager__session_db,
 :httpc_manager__handler_db, :hex_version, :httpc_hex__session_db,
 :httpc_hex__handler_db, TestSite.PubSub, ExUnit.OnExitHandler, :logger,
 :ac_tab, :inet_db, :inet_cache, :inet_hosts_byname, :inet_hosts_byaddr,
 :inet_hosts_file_byname, :inet_hosts_file_byaddr, :global_locks, :global_names,
 :global_names_ext, :global_pid_names, :global_pid_ids, :file_io_servers,
 :elixir_config, :elixir_modules, Plug.Keys, Plug.Upload, :ranch_server,
 :cowboy_clock]


  0) Phoenix.Channels.GenSocketClientTest: failure on setup_all callback, all tests have been invalidated
     ** (EXIT from #PID<0.265.0>) shutdown: failed to start child: Phoenix.PubSub.PG2
         ** (EXIT) shutdown: failed to start child: Phoenix.PubSub.LocalSupervisor
             ** (EXIT) an exception was raised:
                 ** (ArgumentError) argument error
                     (stdlib) :ets.new(TestSite.Endpoint, [:set, :named_table, {:read_concurrency, true}])
                     (phoenix_pubsub) lib/phoenix/pubsub/local_supervisor.ex:24: Phoenix.PubSub.LocalSupervisor.init/1
                     (stdlib) supervisor.erl:295: :supervisor.init/1
                     (stdlib) gen_server.erl:374: :gen_server.init_it/2
                     (stdlib) gen_server.erl:342: :gen_server.init_it/6
                     (stdlib) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3

If i remove the init() it doesn’t start at all.
Would be that Endpoint.start_link() isn’t the right way to start the endpoint without a supervisor anymore?

any other hint?

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Ah so for one thing, in a test, use start_supervised(Endpoint). This will ensure that the endpoint is shut down in the given test case before it is started in another test case. Can you show where you’re calling start_link right now?

banano

banano OP

same thing with start_supervised(Endpoint)

This is where it’s being called at Phoenix.Channels.GenSocketClientTest

  setup_all do
    ExUnit.CaptureLog.capture_log(fn -> Endpoint.start_link() end)
    #start_supervised(Endpoint)
    :ok
  end

this is the repo and the test file that i’m working on right now
https://github.com/naaano/phoenix_gen_socket_client/blob/jason/test/socket_client_test.exs

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews