camstuart

camstuart

Hello,

I am somewhat new to Elixir, and finding that I am having difficulty grasping how I should handle logic for a series of sequences in an “operation”. For example, I have a phoenix post controller that I am using to onboard an organisation and user. So there are a few steps.

  1. Verify where the request came from (I know this is not perfect)
  2. Create an organisation if one does not already exist
  3. Create a user for this organisation if one does not already exist

In this example I am relying on “halt” to essentially return early. But I think I might be approaching the problem in Elixir like an imperative language. But in a regular function where such a mechanism does (no return statement in the language) I get a bit lost on how I should manage control flow. This seems it should be broken up somehow.

I also have ended up with a rather “nested” outcome, which perhaps could (or should?) be avoided with that cool pipeline operator, but I don’t know how I would handle the unhappy path nicely.

I would really appreciate some feedback, and any learning resources that help people like me who have been working in imperative languages so long that we have trouble breaking the habit! Thanks for reading!

def onboard(conn, params) do
    case verify_zendesk_origin(conn) do
      {:ok, _origin} ->
        user_params = params["user"]

        organisation_attrs = %{
          subdomain: params["subdomain"],
          name: params["name"],
          public_key: params["public_key"]
        }

        case Organisations.upsert(organisation_attrs) do
          {:ok, organisation} ->
            user_attrs = %{
              external_id: to_string(user_params["id"]),
              name: user_params["name"],
              role: user_params["role"],
              avatar_url: user_params["avatarUrl"],
              organisation_id: organisation.id
            }

            case ExternalAccounts.upsert_user(user_attrs) do
              {:ok, user} ->
                conn
                |> put_status(:ok)
                |> json(%{user_id: user.id})
                |> halt()

              {:error, changeset} ->
                IO.inspect(changeset.errors, label: "user upsert (onboard) changeset errors")

                conn
                |> put_status(:unprocessable_entity)
                |> json(%{
                  error: "invalid user data",
                  details: changeset_error_to_string(changeset)
                })
                |> halt()
            end

          {:error, changeset} ->
            IO.inspect(changeset.errors, label: "organisation upsert (onboard) changeset errors")

            conn
            |> put_status(:unprocessable_entity)
            |> json(%{
              error: "invalid organisation data",
              details: changeset_error_to_string(changeset)
            })
            |> halt()
        end

      {:error, _reason} ->
        conn
        |> put_status(:forbidden)
        |> json(%{error: "Invalid origin"})
        |> halt()
    end
  end

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten

I would definitely go for a with in this case. Take a look at this anti-pattern, and use it as an example. Create functions that return either an :ok-tuple or a specific :error-tuple (or triplet) for that case.

Lucassifoni

Lucassifoni

The logic could be extracted to an use-case module.
The origin verification could also be a plug.

At a very high and very verbose level :


plug YourAppWeb.Plugs, :verify_zendesk_origin when action in [:onboard, ...]
alias YourAppWeb.UserFlows.OnboardUser

def onboard(conn, params) do
    with {_, {:ok, organisation}} <- {:upsert_organisation, OnboardUser.upsert_organisation(conn.assigns.organisation_attrs)},
            {_, {:ok, user_attrs}} <- {:user_attrs, OnboardUser.user_attrs_from_params_and_org(params, organisation)}
            {_, {:ok, user}} <- {:upsert_external_user, OnboardUser.upsert_external_user(user_attrs)} do
         conn |> put_status(:ok) |> json(%{user_id: user.id})
   else
     {:upsert_organisation, {:error, e}} -> # handle this case
     {:user_attrs, {:error, e}} -> #handle this one
     {:upsert_external_user, {:error, e}} # handle this one
     _ -> # etc
    end
end

I’ve put this fictional OnboardUser module in YourAppWeb because the helper function user_attrs_from_params_and_org depends on the params arg, so it is linked to the transport.
You can of course refine that and have a pure non-web logic OnboardUser use-case while having other extracted utilities to properly construct the arguments it consumes from the request.

There also are a few different ways to tag error tuples or triples with with.
I like to do it at the call site to keep the logic free of this tagging.

The more non-web your logic is, the more testable it becomes :slight_smile:

Edit : use-case based modules are an opinionated choice and not the idiomatic choice.

Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten

I do not like the tagged approach.
I would go for a function that returns a {:ok, organisation} or {:organisation_error, error_information}.
But I do like moving the initial verification to a plug.

Lucassifoni

Lucassifoni

I think your way is cleaner overall, I don’t like putting the tags in the logic module, but have to admit it makes sense if we go for thin controllers.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Why not? It gets the job done.

Lucassifoni

Lucassifoni

Tags at the call site make the real logic less noisy and aware of callers, and tags in the logic makes the caller leaner but aware of the tags… with use-case based organisation, both solutions shouldn’t really be problems.

In the end it depends of the style of the particular codebase you’re working on, the best solution might be to go with the flow of the rest of the code.

stefanluptak

stefanluptak

I would probably do something like this.

Usually, there are few types of errors that your web layer will handle.

Something like:

  • {:error, :not_found}
  • {:error, changeset}
  • {:error, "Some error message as string"}

If your context functions always return these, you can have your error handling in the fallback controller and then just do those nice with {:ok, something} <- YourContext.some_fun(params) calls. And if there’s some exception to that, you can handle it in the else clause of the with statement.

camstuart

camstuart OP

Wow, really great options by everybody, thanks so much!

I wondered about making a plug for verify_zendesk_origin there are a total of two actions in this controller that care about it, so I will definitely do that. Definately seems more testable and “out of the way” of the controller action itself.

These tags are rather interesting, I find this function you have written to be very clear and compact, I had not seen tags before. I’m reading up on with which seems to be the common suggestion. That confuses me a little, mainly because I use that in Python all the time, but it’s very different in Elixir!

camstuart

camstuart OP

This is also really cool, and shows some concepts that are also new to me. More reading need at my end I think.

Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten

To my eyes it is too noisy.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews