Help with new IPFS module

Hepp!

I have forked ipfs_elixir and rewritten it extensively and renamed it to myspace_ipfs. I did this because none of the IPFS libraries I could find in Hex actually worked. The old modules used GET requests mostly, but Kubo (go-ipfs) now uses POSTs in an RPC style.

I am pretty pleased with my work, as I am just starting out learning Elixir. This obviously also mean that I am likely to make mistakes. I need the library for a hobby project of mine, hence the “myspace” prefix.

Although I’m fairly busy during the week, I want to make an effort to get this library to work. I have seen many downloads happen. I take that to assume that there is an interest. I am a N00b to both IPFS and Elixir, but I have asked a seasoned developer to take a look and got a thumbs up for the initial work.

Now I really need fellow alchemysts to try and and file issues and feature requests. Pull requests are welcome too, of course. But not needed.

There is a fair bit of work to be done and QA, but I will try and accomodate any wishes, to make it useful for y’all as I’m really excited for the future of IPFS.

The code is available on github. link below.

• bahner

hex: myspace_ipfs | Hex
issues: Issues · bahner/myspace-ipfs · GitHub

4 Likes

Took a quick look. The documentation is nice and the types are neatly extracted and well-done (and explained). Nice job!

1 Like

Hey, great start!

I glanced through some modules and see improvement opportunities: For example: in this function with doesn’t do anything and String.replace/3 already returns a string, so wrap its result into "#{}" is redundant… the equivalent would be

defp multipart_add_file(mp, fspath, basedir) do
    relative_filename = String.replace(fspath, basedir <> "/", "")

Multipart.add_file(mp, fspath,
      name: "file",
      filename: relative_filename,
      detect_content_type: true
    )
  end

I’d recommend to run the project through Credo. It will point to a bunch of “low hanging” refactoring opportunities (which is also a good source of learning, imo)!

:fist:

Great suggestions. Using with ← … and scoping in general in general in Elixir I find to be very difficult. There seems to be many “you can’t do that here in this context”. Must. Change. Mindset.

So your feedback is valuable. :ok_hand: