MatijaL

MatijaL

Hi guys,

I’m building a small app for myself, with a simple static HTML page generator, the whole project is for me to learn some things and I would need your help with setting up cloud storage.

The app is built with Phoenix LiveView. it allows users to create their own pages and have them on subdomain, user_page.appdomain.com. Users can upload images to the app which are then shown on their page. Pages are static HTML pages. So, there is a small CMS, users can add content, images and then static HTML page is generated and users can access it on their subdomain.

When users upload their images, they are saved to Tigris Cloud storage. In front of the app, there is Cloudflare for caching images.

Should I use public or private bucket for storage? What about CORS? What else should I take into the account? I want to learn how to set it up properly to avoid potential attacks, huge cloud bills everyone is talking these days about etc.

I don’t have much experience with setting up cloud so I would really appreciate your help here.

Showing Posts 1 to 2

garrison

garrison

Traditional wisdom with S3 and co is that you should not serve files directly from the bucket due to cloud egress costs being quite high on major cloud platforms like AWS. If you were using AWS you could use their CDN (Cloudfront) or Cloudflare like you suggest.

However, my understanding is that the whole point of Tigris is they integrated the CDN into the product specifically so that you don’t have to deal with that. I did not look too closely but I see on their docs page that they advertise “zero egress fees” for this reason, so you probably don’t need Cloudflare in front if you’re using them.

For uploads obviously you want to make sure you rate-limit that, per-user and also perhaps globally as a sanity check in case of an attack.

If you need to enforce more complex access controls (some sites only viewable by logged-in users and so on) then maybe you would want to proxy everything through your app.

If everything is meant to be public then you may as well use Tigris as a CDN since that’s what it’s for I guess.

Do you want users to be able to embed content from their page into other websites? This is specific to your use-case, there is no general answer.

As long as you rate-limit your uploads and Tigris honors their free egress promise you should be safe. If you start serving petabytes they’ll probably call you to complain.

One more thing: if you’re hosting user data publicly like this make sure you accept and promptly respond to any takedown notices or your upstream providers are going to be very unhappy when they get them.

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

Public and enable CORS, so it is easier to embed them directly. And unless you are streaming videos, or have content that attract abusers (eg. porn, warez, …) you should not need to worry about egress fee yet.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews