jeanGeorge

jeanGeorge

Hi to everyone!

I am looking for some Elixir benchmarks that use structs. I would appreciate it if you could share some with me.

Why? I’m working on a project (my undergraduate thesis) whose goal is to improve the performance of the map lookup operation in BEAM. Now, I’m at a stage where I need to perform tests to analyze the behavior of the current BEAM implementation when using Elixir structs.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Here’s some prior discussion that seems like a good starting point:

A big change worth learning about for this specific case (Elixir structs) is the new_map_lit machinery that landed in OTP 21:

https://github.com/erlang/otp/pull/1498

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Thank you @al2o3cr!

In particular, we are looking for any function or library that makes heavy use of structs, especially under a loop.

So for example, if you have code or library that is traversing a large list and modifying a struct as it goes, that would be very helpful.

mat-hek

mat-hek

Membrane Core Team

In Membrane, we use nested structs and (usually small) maps for element state, which is basically a GenServer state. There are rather no heavy loops over it, but we figured out that access to structs impacts performance significantly. So we replaced Elixir’s Access by macros that construct pattern matches in the compile time. That turned out to provide significant speedup in some of our benchmarks. Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for, but I guess speeding up structs/maps themselves could give Membrane another boost.

stefanluptak

stefanluptak

I think rebuilding Commanded’s aggregate from a lot of events (when there’s no snapshot) could be a good example of that.
We’re doing that in our company too. I can provide you with some test code and data or maybe even a Benchee script to run, if you want.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

@stefanluptak that would be perfect! An Elixir script with Mix.install at the top that installs the required depsand then proceeds to aggregate would be perfect!

@mat-hek if that can be isolated, that would be perfect too! Especially knowing the code was a bottleneck in the past.

stefanluptak

stefanluptak

OK, I will do my best. But since it’s Friday already, I will send you that on Monday.

Adzz

Adzz

Oh!

Here’s a thing that might help. I’ve been (experimenting) with XML parsing. One iteration I did was creating a Saxy handler that parses the XML into a struct, something like the following,

Given this xml:

<ParentNode price="1">
  <MyNode>Stuff</MyNode>
  <AnotherNode>
    <Child>Stuff</Child>
  </AnotherNode>
</ParentNode>

The Saxy handler returns:

 %XMLNode{
   attributes: [%XMLAttr{name: "price", value: "1"}],
   content: [
     %XMLNode{attributes: [], content: ["Stuff"], name: "MyNode"},
     %XMLNode{
       attributes: [],
       content: [%XMLNode{attributes: [], content: ["Stuff"], name: "Child"}],
       name: "AnotherNode"
     }
   ],
   name: "ParentNode"
 }

THEN we have a library called data_schema that queries into that representation to create a different struct from it. It does that by reducing through a schema and querying into the result from Saxy, so if you have large XML you’ll be doing lots and lots of Map.gets into the result of the Saxy handler to get the values for your new struct.

I have created a branch on the data_schema repo called xpath_experiment that has the Saxy handler and a data accessor that you can use to parse XML.
See this example from the tests:

Doing this will result in a lot of Map.fetch into a struct - 1 per node and attr.

If you think this will be useful to you I can get together a large XML (~15mb) example to use, along with schemas for that.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Yes, I would love to use this benchmark! However, note that we won’t be able to optimize Map.fetch but we should be able to optimize pattern matching:

case map do
  %{^key => value} -> ...
  %{} -> ...
end

Or map.field.

Adzz

Adzz

Nice, yea no problem it is trivial to turn the Map.fetch! into a map.field

I will get something together today for you.

Adzz

Adzz

Sorry for the delay, took a bit longer to get the schemas in order than I expected.

Here is a benchark that you can run with mix run bench.exs at the root of the project. It will parse a large XML in the manner I mentioned.

Let me know if you can’t access it for whatever reason.

Adz

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews