MatijaL

MatijaL

Hello,

I’m having a bit of trouble creating a function with EctoMulti. I have support_tickets which have many support_ticket_messages. When I want to insert new message, I have the following function which takes the attrs and puts association to ticket and user and this function works just fine.

def create_support_ticket_message(%SupportTicket{} = ticket, %User{} = user, attrs) do
    %SupportTicketMessage{seen: false}
    |> SupportTicketMessage.changeset(attrs)
    |> Ecto.Changeset.put_assoc(:support_ticket, ticket)
    |> Ecto.Changeset.put_assoc(:user, user)
    |> Repo.insert()
end

Now, I want to send notification to the user when new message is created so I wanted to use Ecto.Multi() but I’m not sure how to write it properly. The following function doesn’t work because I need to use a function to use Ecto.build_assoc() and I have only a changeset which contain message attrs.

changeset = SupportTicketMessage.changeset(attrs)

Multi.new()
    |> Multi.insert(:support_ticket_message, changeset ->
        Ecto.build_assoc(ticket, :support_ticket_messages)
        Ecto.build_assoc(user, :user)
      end)
    |> Repo.transaction()

How to write this function properly?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

MatijaL

MatijaL OP

Just solved it this way but if someone knows a better way, I would be happy to hear it.

changeset =
      %SupportTicketMessage{user_id: user.id, ticket_id: ticket.id}
      |> SupportTicketMessage.changeset(attrs)

    Multi.new()
    |> Multi.insert(:support_ticket_message, changeset)
    |> Repo.transaction()
sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Looks like you got it but since I typed this all out I’m gonna post anyway :sweat_smile: I included the run function you can use if you want notifying the user to be part of the transaction.

def support_ticket_message_changeset(%SupportTicket{} = ticket, %User{} = user, attrs) do
  %SupportTicketMessage{seen: false}
  |> SupportTicketMessage.changeset(attrs)
  |> Ecto.Changeset.put_assoc(:support_ticket, ticket)
  |> Ecto.Changeset.put_assoc(:user, user)
end

Multi.new()
|> Multi.insert(:ticket, support_ticket_changeset(ticket, user, attrs))
|> Multi.run(:notification, fn _repo, %{ticket: ticket} ->
  notify_user_about_ticket(ticket, user)
end)
|> Repo.transaction()
sodapopcan

sodapopcan

It’s worth noting though that if there isn’t a good reason to fail the operation if the user isn’t notified (and I would think this is generally the case) you don’t need a Multi here as a changeset with associations is automatically run in a transaction with Repo.insert and friends.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews