YoungFlannagan

YoungFlannagan

Hi all,

I deployed my elm embedded phoenix application to heroku and it compiled successfully. The issue I am having is the websocket connection no longer works. I am using the elm-phoenix-socket package, and figured all I had to do was change the socket init url from “ws://localhost:4000/socket/websocket” to “wss://my-app.herokuapp.com/socket/websocket” I have tried a couple other urls to no avail.

Not sure what to try. Any help would be appreciated.

Showing Posts 1 to 6

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Did you update the allowed incoming url’s in your configuration?

apoeco

apoeco

Can you try wss://my-app.herokuapp.com/socket instead?
I am not sure if this will work but the default url defined in the Endpoint module is "/socket" ..

YoungFlannagan

YoungFlannagan OP

I have url: [scheme: "https", host: "secret-sea...herokuapp.com", port: 443] within my Endpoint config in prod.exs. Not sure if that is what you are referring to or not.

Most

Most

I ran into a similar problem and documented some of the different things I tried to fix it in this SO post.

I never got it to work properly and resorted to hard-coding my socket variable before pushing to production. If there’s a right way to accomplish this I’d love to know.

happysalada

happysalada

heroku gives an error about setting the check_origin parameter for me that did it

url: [scheme: “https”, host: “myapp.com”, port: 443],
check_origin: [
“https://myapp.com”,
“https://www.myapp.com”
],

domvas

domvas

I’ve had a hard time with it too.
And I managed to tackle in non-so-satisfying way.
In my controller, I have this:

socket_prefix = get_socket_prefix(Application.get_env(:vinculi_web, :env))    
socket_host = get_socket_host(conn, Application.get_env(:vinculi_web, :env))
socket_url = socket_prefix <> "://#{socket_host}" <> "/socket/websocket"
render conn, "explore.html", layout: {VinculiWeb.LayoutView, "app_light.html"},
                                     node_uuid: node_uuid,
                                     node_labels: node_labels,
                                     server_url: server_url,
                                     socket_url: socket_url

with the following helpers:

def get_socket_prefix(:prod), do: "wss"
def get_socket_prefix(_), do: "ws"
def get_socket_host(conn, :prod), do: conn.host
def get_socket_host(conn, _), do: "#{conn.host}:#{conn.port}"

And I didn’t add any check_origin.

Again, this is not an elegant solution but it works (for me, at least) and don’t require tricks before pushing to production.
Hope it helps.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews