Hex is broken after updates

I did some upgrading, am at Erlang 19.1 and Elixir 1.3.2. Now build attempts get this error:

** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: {:error, {:ssl, {'no such file or directory', 'ssl.app'}}}
    (mix) lib/mix/utils.ex:420: Mix.Utils.read_httpc/1
    (mix) lib/mix/utils.ex:364: Mix.Utils.read_path/2
    (mix) lib/mix/local.ex:139: Mix.Local.read_path!/2
    (mix) lib/mix/local.ex:118: Mix.Local.find_matching_versions_from_signed_csv!/2
    (mix) lib/mix/tasks/local.hex.ex:29: Mix.Tasks.Local.Hex.run/1
    (mix) lib/mix/dep/loader.ex:143: Mix.Dep.Loader.with_scm_and_app/4
    (mix) lib/mix/dep/loader.ex:99: Mix.Dep.Loader.to_dep/3
    (elixir) lib/enum.ex:1184: Enum."-map/2-lists^map/1-0-"/2

I got the error just trying to do a normal launch of mix phoenix.server and when trying to compile or get deps as well. So I deleted hex, and now get the same error when trying to install hex, and --force doesn’t help. I do have openssl installed, in the normal UNIXy locations.

Suggestions?

1 Like

I believe that, when you updated Erlang, you did not install the ssl application or its dependencies. How did you install Erlang? Some installations break Erlang apart, so you will need to install things like erlang-ssl and so on.

I used the pre-built MacOSX binary available on erlang.org: esl-erlang_19.1~osx~10.10_amd64.dmg, at this page: https://www.erlang-solutions.com/resources/download.html.

Based on your post, I went back to that page and downloaded 19.0 and installed it. It works fine now. So I wonder if they actually move/removed functionality in 19.1, or if there is an error in the installer???

FYI, from the same page, I downloaded the 19.1 installer for CentOS 6, installed it, and did not have any problem.

You are not the first person to report weird behaviour on 19.1. Maybe it is a bad package from erlang-solutions.com side of things? If you use homebrew, you can try installing latest Erlang from there too.

2 Likes

So, Erlang Solutions has posted revised 19.1 packages for OS X, and they fix the problem.

1 Like