ejpcmac

ejpcmac

Starting November, I will spend one year in Kerguelen Islands as the System Administrator of the scientific base. There, internet access is very low—understand: 100 kb/s for 40 to 100 persons, therefore reserved for professional activities. Provided this constraint, I am currently working on getting my whole development environment offline-ready. I’ve started reasearch about building a local binary cache for Nix and crates.io (the Rust equivalent for hex.pm). Now, I am here for the Elixir part.

I want to be able to start new Elixir projects there. To achieve this, I would like to setup an offline read-only hex.pm mirror. Here are my questions:

  1. How can I get a full copy of the hex.pm repository?
  2. What do I need to use it with Mix, so I can do mix deps.get and my dependencies are fetched from the local cache?
  3. Would it be possible to setup a local copy for the web interface too, so I could search and browse the packages? Otherwise, how to look for packages for a new use case?
  4. Same for Hexdocs, it would be neat to have it offline too.

These options would be interesting for other kind of isolated environments, like restricted networks in some companies for instance.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

By chance MiniRepo was just released, a mini version of hex. :slight_smile:

As for a duplicate of hex.pm, that sounds large, probably have to ask one of the platformatic people here, @josevalim is one, unsure who else?

You can generate docs from packages in hex too for note. :slight_smile:

ejpcmac

ejpcmac OP

Oh neat! I’d seen MiniRepo, but not read about its mirroring capabilities. So if I setup a mirror like in the development example but without the only parameter, I should be able to mirror the full hex.pm and add HEX_MIRROR_URL in my environment so that I use it by default, right? I’ll try this next week for sure :slight_smile:

P.S.: Sorry for the delayed reply, I’m moving soon + I need to prepare my canteens which are shipped next week, so until then I have an unprecedented high latency.

wojtekmach

wojtekmach

Hex Core Team

Yes, you can configure your mirror to fetch all packages. MiniRepo is pretty minimal, it doesn’t mirror docs or allow you to do search and similiar that you mentioned in the initial post. For docs, I’d write a small script that uses GitHub - hexpm/hex_core: Reference implementation of Hex specifications. · GitHub to grab package versions and download and unpack relevant docs.

ejpcmac

ejpcmac OP

For posterity: one neat thing about how the repo is stored is it can be served statically. This way, I can use mini_repo on any server to keep a mirror in sync, replicating it to my laptop through ZFS’s send/recv commands—which will also allow me to send incremental updates through the postal services.

On my laptop side, the repo is served by a simple Apache httpd, which I also use to serve other mirrors. By setting HEX_MIRROR_URL in my global environment, this whole process becomes really transparent and I can work fully offline without any warning. That’s perfect :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews