wmnnd

wmnnd

Hi there,

a little while ago, @josevalim pointed out in this thread that Phoenix is well-suited for handling large uploads since it doesn’t load the whole file into memory but instead writes it to disk instead.

However, I have noticed (using Elixir 1.4.5, Erlang/OTP 20 and Phoenix 1.3.0-rc.2) that uploads of large files (as multipart/form-data, i. e. using Plug.Parsers.MULTIPART) can cause a huge increase in memory consumption:

A minimal Phoenix application reports 35 MB memory usage in Erlang Observer. When uploading a file, this increases to over 100 MB per upload. This is not affected by upload speed and happens both with a throttled 1 MB/s connection and unthrottled uploads to localhost.
Once the connection has been terminated, the memory consumption goes down again to its original value.

Here is the Observer load chart for three subsequent 1 GB uploads to localhost:

So while there is no long-term memory leaking here, could it be that there is a temporary memory leak in Plug.Parsers that gets cleaned up when the connection is terminated?

If you want to quickly try this out, I have created a minimal Phoenix app with Observer and an upload form here:
https://github.com/wmnnd/phoenix-upload-test-case

Showing Posts 1 to 10

wmnnd

wmnnd OP

And for added detail, here are the Load Charts for the first 60s of a throttled upload:

NobbZ

NobbZ

So it reads some of the stream into memory and then flushes it to disk. Seems reasonable to me.

As you can see on your posted screens, only the binary heap is affected, exactly that piece of the BEAMs memory, that I’d expected the temporary data to be.

Not “fully loading a file into memory” leaves more than enough room to at least load it partially and write it in chunks to the FS.

wmnnd

wmnnd OP

True you’d expect a zigzag pattern from the buffering and flushing of the file.
However, the default read_length is 1_000_000 (source), so I’d expect it to read up to 1MB from the socket, flush it to disk and then continue reading. This would then require additional memory of 1 MB or maybe a bit more. But as you can see from the graph, the baseline binary memory increases by about 30 MB right away and then never goes below that again until the request has terminated.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

@wmnnd since you are benchmarking this aspect, could you also please try Plug master, since it has a hand-rolled file upload system with better configuration?

About the memory usage, the VM usually doesn’t bother performing garbage collection unless it really needs to. If you need to force it, consider calling :erlang.garbage_collect(self()) after Plug.Parser and see if it improves the result. Or try patching the file upload code in Plug and call it multiple times to see if it reduces the baseline.

outlog

outlog

you have :length set to 1_000_000_000, try and change it to 1_000_000 :grinning::

  plug Plug.Parsers,
    parsers: [:multipart],
    pass: ["*/*"],
    length: 1_000_000_000

EDIT: length is max length, no wonder mem usage went down.. (mistakingly thought there was another :limit option)

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

I believe :length is the maximum length. It is not how much will be loaded into memory at once.

NobbZ

NobbZ

As I do read it, it will read at most 1MiB at once to create a chunk, a chunk is of size 8MiB. So under perfect curcumstances youll end up having 8 reads, 1MiB each for that chunk, resulting in the following allocations on the bin_heap:

  • first read: 1 MiB read + 0 MiB old chunk + 1 MiB new chunk = 2 MiB
  • second read: 1 MiB read + 1 MiB old chunk + 2 MiB new chunk = 4 MiB
  • third read: 1 MiB read + 2 MiB old chunk + 3 MiB new chunk = 6 MiB
  • fourth read: 1 MiB read + 3 MiB old chunk + 4 MiB new chunk = 8 MiB
  • fifth read: 1 MiB read + 4 MiB old chunk + 5 MiB new chunk = 10 MiB
  • sixth read: 1 MiB read + 5 MiB old chunk + 6 MiB new chunk = 12 MiB
  • seventh read: 1 MiB read + 6 MiB old chunk + 7 MiB new chunk = 14 MiB
  • eighth read: 1 MiB read + 7 MiB old chunk + 8 MiB new chunk = 16 MiB

Of course the same will repeat for the next 8MiB chunk.

And remember, the GC might decide to do not anything unless necessary, so you might see used, but not referenced memory in your statistics as well.

wmnnd

wmnnd OP

@josevalim I’ve already tried adding forced garbage collection which does in fact bring the memory consumption down. I will give Plug master a try.

@outlog `:length is the setting for the maximum allowed file size to be uploaded, not for the individual chunks to be written to the disk.

aseigo

aseigo

Interesting if that’s how it works .. Do you know why it holds on to the entire old chunk and allocates an entire new chunk? It would seem like the same sort of optimizations made with iolists or sub-binaries would be useful … and that pattern has got to be pretty bad for fragmentation? Hrm.

wmnnd

wmnnd OP

@aseigo It seems like the function doing the reading is recursively calling itself so maybe that’s why it doesn’t let go of the chunks.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews