TestingTester

TestingTester

Hello, I’m struggling to work through memory usage problems when trying to run many queries at once using Task.async + Task.await. I’m relatively new to Elixir + Phoenix, so bear with me.

I need to fire off multiple POST requests to a third party service at once and collect all of the responses. Here’s a simplified version of what I’m doing now.

[
  Task.async(fn -> some_func_that_makes_a_post_req(...) end),
  Task.async(fn -> some_func_that_makes_a_post_req(...) end),
  Task.async(fn -> some_func_that_makes_a_post_req(...) end),
  Task.async(fn -> some_func_that_makes_a_post_req(...) end),
  ...
]
|> Enum.map(&Task.await/1)
|> Enum.reduce(...) # do something with the data returned

I’m using hackney to send the POST requests

:hackney.post(
   "some_url",
   [
     {"Content-Type", "application/json"}
   ],
   Jason.encode!(query_body),
   [:with_body]

This seemed to work well, but once I started profiling my application I noticed massive memory spikes. My Phoenix application uses around 60-80 MB of memory at baseline, but when I spawn ~40 Tasks (which each make 1 post request) I see a massive spike up to 150-200 MB, and the processes seem to hang around for a minute or two.

Using the :observer I was able to track down which processes were hogging memory. I can’t upload images to the elixir forum yet, but I’m seeing numerous ssl_gen_statem:init/1 processes consume ~2 MB each. They stick around long after the post requests have completed and each task has been awaited.

Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong? I want to be able to send many requests at once, parse each response & format them independently, and finally merge all of the results into one Map / struct. Is there a better way to send numerous https requests at once without flying too close to the sun & running into OOM issues?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hey @TestingTester welcome!

From the numbers you’re posting, on average each HTTP request is using ~2-3mb of memory each. Whether that is expected or very high depends a lot on what you’re sending and what you’re receiving. Can you elaborate on what sort of data you’re posting, and what data you’re getting back?

sdr

sdr

This post looks similar and is caused by ssl certs. Not sure if your issue is the same but it’s worth looking into.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews