ghoetker

ghoetker

New to Elixir and had a great deal of trouble getting anything with WxWidgets working on my Mac. Having found many detailed and highly involved solutions in my Googling, I wanted to provide the dead-simple answer that I finally figured out, in hopes that someone else struggling with the same will find it useful in the future.

I used MacPorts to install Elixir and Erlang. Installing Elixir automatically installs Erlang as a dependency, but the version of Erlang that is automatically installed doesn’t include WxWidgets support. All that is required to fix this is to install Erlang with the wxwidgets variant selected. From the command line:

sudo port install erlang +wxidgets

There are a number of other dependencies that seemed to be installed automatically by MacPorts, but may need to be specified in this case. So, the full command line might be more like:

sudo port install erlang +hipe +ssl +odbc +wxwidgets

If you are using the JPortsUI GUI for MacPorts, merely select the Erlang package, then click on the “Variants” tab at the bottom of the window, tick the desired variants and hit the “Apply” button per normal.

In either case, MacPorts will deactivate, but not uninstall, any prior version of Erlang installed via MacPorts.

Others are probably sharper, but I hope someone will find this 5 minute solution it took me 5 hours to find useful. Best wishes.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews