bartblast

bartblast

Creator of Hologram

Hologram v0.8.0 is out! This release brings JavaScript interoperability - the most requested feature since the project’s inception. You can now call JS functions, use npm packages, interact with Web APIs, instantiate classes, and work with Web Components - all from Elixir code, with zero latency on the client side.

Special thanks to @robak86 for extensive help with the JS interop API design. Thanks to @ankhers for contributing Web Components support and to @mward-sudo for a language server compatibility fix and :unicode module refactoring.

Thanks to our sponsors for making sustained development possible: Curiosum (Main Sponsor), Erlang Ecosystem Foundation (Milestones Sponsor), and our GitHub sponsors - Innovation Partner: @sheharyarn, Framework Visionaries: @absowoot, Oban, @Lucassifoni, @robertu, and all other GitHub sponsors.

Full details in the blog post: Hologram v0.8.0: Elixir Gets JavaScript Interop

Showing Posts 1 to 5

mward-sudo

mward-sudo

Massive release!

I’ve not played with the new JS interop, but the API looks very well considered. Hologram is moving into very interesting territory.

I look forward to continuing to contribute and to using the project for something real sometime soon.

bartblast

bartblast OP

Creator of Hologram

Thank you @mward-sudo! It was a massive amount of work indeed - I think @robak86 aged about 5 years during the API design sessions alone. The fact that he still answers my phone calls is either a testament to his patience or evidence that he hasn’t figured out how to block a number yet… Or maybe he just picks up out of morbid curiosity about what I’ll ask next.

10
Post #3
jam

jam

Amazing! Looks very comprehensive.

jam

jam

I’m sure y’all considered this as part of the design but I can’t help but think how clean it’d be to drop the brackets and create the list as an implementation detail under the hood.

So this

result =
  :Decimal
  |> JS.new([100])
  |> JS.call(:plus, [23])
  |> JS.call(:toNumber, [])  

becomes

result =
  :Decimal
  |> JS.new(100)
  |> JS.call(:plus, 23)
  |> JS.call(:toNumber)  
bartblast

bartblast OP

Creator of Hologram

Unfortunately there are two problems with dropping the brackets:

  1. List ambiguity - JS.call(:obj, :processList, [1, 2, 3]) becomes impossible to distinguish between one argument (the array [1, 2, 3]) and three separate arguments.

  2. Arity clash - JS.call/2 calls a standalone function, JS.call/3 calls a method on a receiver. If args were optional, JS.call(:Decimal, :toNumber) could be either call/2 with one arg or call/3 with no args.

The explicit args list is also consistent with Kernel.apply/3, which always requires the args list. I actually considered naming it JS.apply at one point, so the parallel is intentional.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in News & Updates Top

Jskalc
LiveVue v1.0 released After four release candidates and a lot of community feedback, LiveVue 1.0 is stable :tada: I’ve built a dedicated...
New
webofbits
Cairn is a small OTP library for message delivery, lightweight function processes, supervised work, and waiting on results. The goal is ...
New
woylie
LetMe 3.0.4 has been released. Changed Log the policy module and the check module in the message of the warning for a rule that does n...
New
webofbits
Aludel 0.8.0 is now available on GitHub and Hex. This release adds typed_judge assertions for evaluations that need deterministic, struc...
New
woylie
Flop Phoenix 0.27.0 has been released. Changed Require Flop 0.29.0, which turns Flop.Schema from a protocol into a behaviour. Determin...
New
woylie
Flop 0.29.0 has been released. Added Add Flop.allowed_fields/2, which returns the fields that may be filtered or sorted for the given ...
New
woylie
Doggo 0.16.1 has been released. Changed The expanded attribute of the tree_item is now handled as initial state only and cannot be upd...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

robertsfeir
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here, so be gentle (or at least polite). I’ve been lurking for a while and I’m genuinely excit...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews