dblack

dblack

I’m experiencing a little navigation issue with the docs on mobile (android).

When I open the menu, and click a link, the page opens but I can’t scroll down the page (it feels like an overlay remains on the page after the menu has slid away).

To work around this, I open the menu again, then close it and I can now scroll.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

bartblast

bartblast

Creator of Hologram

Hey @dblack,

  • Which browser are you using?
  • Does this happen consistently every time you follow the same sequence of actions?
  • Are you able to access the browser’s dev tools to check for any error messages?
dblack

dblack OP

Happens for me with both chrome and Vivaldi on android.

Yes, consistently for all pages.

I’ll get back to you with any errors once I fire up my PC during the week.

bartblast

bartblast

Creator of Hologram

Apparently there was a post on Hacker News about Hologram that made it to the front page: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=42710376, and a lot of people experienced the same issue as you, somebody even created a bug report: Slow navigation in the documentation · Issue #165 · bartblast/hologram · GitHub

Here are my findings (copied from the GitHub issue):

I identified a bug in Hologram’s patching mechanism which occurs when root element (html) attributes are modified during navigation. This happens in this case because the html element gets a Tailwind overflow-hidden class when the menu opens to prevent scrolling underneath the menu container.

The noticeable lag (~500ms) will remain for a while as this is Hologram 0.2.0 (an alpha release, see: 🎉 Hologram - An Isomorphic Elixir Web Framework is Here!) with some temporary implementations:

  • The current bitstring implementation is very inefficient (since templates are essentially long bitstrings, this significantly impacts performance)
  • There’s extensive logging for debugging
  • Every action triggers a full template re-render

These issues are scheduled to be fixed in upcoming releases.

The Hologram fix has been applied to the website - could you confirm if the menu works correctly now (aside from the noticeable lag)? Navigation to the next page should be fast; only opening/closing the menu without clicking a link should have the noticeable lag.

dblack

dblack OP

Hi @bartblast, yes, that works better

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews