johnmcguin
Context: I have a game that is client rendered via a live view with a custom hook. I am looking to persist a value to local storage so that the client side can re-hydrate its state on reconnect or refresh.
My live view gets set up via handle_params/3 and looks like
def handle_params(%{"id" => id, "name" => name}, _url, socket) do
case Games.get_active_room(id) do
nil ->
socket
|> put_flash(:error, "Game room #{id} not found")
|> push_navigate(to: "/")
|> then(fn socket -> {:noreply, socket} end)
%Room{} = room ->
Endpoint.subscribe(@current_game <> id)
Presence.track(self(), @current_game <> id, name, %{name: name})
Presence.track(self(), @all_players, "game_" <> id <> "_" <> name, %{name: name})
broadcast_readiness(@current_game <> id, game_ready?(id, room.num_players))
socket
|> push_event("set_game_id", %{id: nil})
|> assign(name: name)
|> assign(room_id: id)
|> assign(messages: %{})
|> assign(game_ready: false)
|> assign(winner: "")
|> assign_async(:answer, fn -> get_answer(id) end)
|> then(fn socket -> {:noreply, socket} end)
end
end
In the hook’s mounted callback, I have the following listener (which does not work):
this.handleEvent("set_game_id", function (game) {
console.log("set_game_id called");
console.log({ game });
});
However, after doing a little debugging, I realized that registering an event listener on the window does work:
window.addEventListener("phx:set_game_id", (e) => console.log(e));
Is there something I am missing with regards to getting this to work in the hook?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
cmo
That sort of thing does work. I usually only push events in the connected mount/handle_params though. You could try
if connected?(socket), do: push_event(...)johnmcguin
Thanks, I may try that just to learn. I ended up just changing the implementation to pass these as attributes on the element via assigns, which feels much simpler for the use case.