nietaki

nietaki

A while back, inspired by the “I’m harvesting credit card numbers and passwords from your site - here’s how” article, I started working on a tool that addresses the problem highlighted in the article, but for the Elixir ecosystem - hoplon. This Wednesday I presented the for the first time at the Elixir London Meetup and figured it was ready to be shared on the Elixir Forum :wink:

The basic idea is that when using external libraries we usually assume their hex packages contain exactly the code that is in their Github repos, while there’s no real guarantees that that would be the case. While that’s not necessarily a problem with hobby projects, it becomes a real vulnerability if you use third-party libraries in production projects that handle user data - we’re adopting it where I work as we speak :slight_smile:

Take a look at the project and suffixer - the example project that uses it. I’d love to know your feedback. If you prefer to talk in real-time, I created hoplon on the Elixir Slack, but the turnaround from my end might still be a bit slow on weekdays.

The slides from the presentation are available HERE, the recording should be available within a week or 2 as well.

Disclaimer: while I am planning to implement the missing features rather sooner than later, I think I’m going to take the next couple of weeks to tidy up the code - I’ve been rushing to get it ready for the meetup and it isn’t really up to my usual standards. Feel free to report issues/suggestions regardless.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12366 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews