YSS
Hello, we are running an API with Elixir/Phoenix and when we push a new version, the server goes down for a small amount of time and this is causing issues for our API users.
I have looked into the Hot Code Loading, but wanted to ask people here what their opinion is. Now we are running 1 server instance and we think blue/green deployments would be a solution to have 2 elixir/phoenix servers but we are then into the overhead of making sure the sessions are sticky and basically need to re-organize our complete application.
Thanks for any help if you encountered this situation.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
garrison
I’ve been happy using Caddy’s
reverse_proxywith Phoenix with very little configuration. I haven’t done blue/green with it but it seems like the cookie lb_policy would work for sticky sessions, though I guess not for API clients.But do you actually need sessions to stick? If you’re bringing up a new server don’t you actually want new connections to go to the new server?
rhcarvalho
What’s your current infrastructure like? Deployment strategy and tooling?
hauleth
You do not need hot code reload, you need better deployment strategy and connection draining (so requests “in progress” will be finished).
There are different options how to achieve seamless deployment and from my experience - if you can avoid hot code reload, then it is better to avoid it.
YSS
github acdtions → deploys to single instance elixir/phoenix server
i can setup 2 elixir servers but how will the session sharing work with elixir phoenix if i don’t use sticky sessions? do you have expeirence with this?
YSS
the sessions draining in blue/green deployment isn’t an issue
it’s also the exlir/phoenix webinterface app that will need sticky sessions or i will have to store the sessions if they are shared
LostKobrakai
By default sessions are cookie based. The only shared knowledge the servers need is the secret_key configured on the endpoint. Everything is sent to the client and back. That’s at least the case unless you switched to a different session implementation.
YSS
ok thanks so auth on server1→ cookie session is set on client, we use server2 all of a sudden but we sill use that same session and it’s accepted by server1 and server2 because they use the same secret_key?
i remember my elixir phoenix app locking the postgres, how does this work wihen 2 servers connect to the same postgres? arent they both try to lock the tables they work with? thanks!!