Sgoettschkes
I recently came across the explanation for remote code execution in Elixir, using a base64 encoded payload, which is encoded and passed to binary_to_term/2.
I understand the steps taken and the problem with binary_to_term. What I do not understand and what interests me is how anonymous functions are represented internally for this to work. For example, this code snipped somehow works, but I have no clear understanding of why and how:
Enum.zip(fn _x, _y -> {:cont, []} end)
It would be highly appreciated if anybody has any good resources or an explanation. Thanks!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
benhaney
I’m not exactly sure what you’re looking for with your question about how anonymous functions are represented internally, but the reason your snippet works is simply because the
Enumerableprotocol is implemented forFunction. See elixir/lib/elixir/lib/enum.ex at v1.14 · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHubSgoettschkes
Thank you for that link! I guess that is one part of what I’m looking for.
Now I must understand how
Enum.zip/1works under the hood. I’ll dive into elixir/lib/elixir/lib/enum.ex at a64d42f5d3cb6c32752af9d3312897e8cd5bb7ec · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub to see if I can understand what’s happening.D4no0
Nothing is happening internally, the actual exploit relies on the fact that you can use Enum on a function(for some reason, I never knew that) and that will force the function to be evaluated, there you can inject a random amount of code that will be executed by the server.