sodapopcan

sodapopcan

One concern that comes up a lot is how LiveView stores and runs a lot of data server-side.

I’ve always seen this a good thing.

First off, I really appreciate sites/apps that are nice to my phone’s battery as well as my laptop’s memory. Even users who don’t actively care about this passively care without realizing it. Next, if you have intellectual property to protect then it’s obviously better to have as much of it server-side as possible. I once saw some Hack News folk carrying on about how they hate people who reverse engineer obfuscated JS. “Well stop putting sensitive stuff in client-side JS, you ding dongs” was my thought, but I digress*

As far as costs go, If I’m running a dedicated server anyway then I’ve already paid for my memory so go ahead and max it out. If I need to scale up or out, then I have more users who are theoretically offsetting the extra costs exponentially.

Of course, I don’t have actual experience with this. I did briefly work for a company that ran a LiveView widget in production, but I never dug into the financials with them (our servers seemed fine, though!)

So my very open-ended question to small-to-medium business folk running LiveView: what’s your experience been like with this?

Thanks to any willing to share!


(*) I do realize that there are certain classes of web applications that must be heavily client-side. I’m just being cheeky, ok?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

Hisako1337

Hisako1337

It’s incredibly cheap given you have „ordinary“ liveviews and don’t do extremely challenging computation in your event handlers.

A single (multicore, few gigs RAM) instance can be able to run even a large business. Without breaking a sweat. Even if you do encounter exceptionally high load, the very nature of the beam will prioritize short functions (like user interactions, page loads, …) over heavy background jobs, so the overall system remains snappy until severe overloaded.

(Background: did. this in the past with bigger companies and Black Friday was boring for us technicians!)

tj0

tj0

Small app between 150-200 concurrent connections which uses about 3.5 GB of ram over 6 instances.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews