msw10100

msw10100

I’d like to define a module that uses a macros to simplify a user writing message handlers for a queue processing environment.

defmodule MyMessageHandlers do
  use MessageHandlers

  routed_message_handler("LoggerMessages", "StoreLogs") do
    IO.puts "Got message #{inspect message.type}"
  end
end

To implement routed_message_handler/3, I was thinking to use a macro, like:

defmodule MessageHandlers do
  defmacro routed_message_handler(message_class, message_name, do: expression) do
    quote do
      def handle("#{unquote(module)}#{unquote(message_name)}RoutedMessage", message) do
        unquote(expression)
      end
    end
  end
end

The macro would define a function with a signature built from the ‘message_class’ and the ‘message_name’, and would contain the code inside the ‘do’ block. But that won’t work because ‘message’ is only present in the generated code, not in the pre-macro-ized source, and so it can’t be found at compile time inside the ‘do’ block.

Is there a way to parameterize the ‘do’ block with ‘message’, so it’s available to the author of the actual message handling code?

Or is there a completely different way I can achieve this sort of thing?

This code is kind of trivialized just for this example, because there’s lots of other code that the generated message handler has to actually do. I’m trying to eliminate error-prone boilerplate from the message handling code.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

NobbZ

NobbZ

I once used var!/1 to implement something similar. Am on mobile though and can’t look up the code. Have to say though it was elixir 1.1 or 1.2.

msw10100

msw10100 OP

Yep, var!/1 worked. My macro now looks like this:

  defmacro routed_message_handler2(module, message_name, expression) do
    quote do
      def handle("#{unquote(module)}#{unquote(message_name)}RoutedMessage", incoming_message) do
        var!(message) = incoming_message
        unquote(expression)
      end
    end
  end

And ‘message’ is now defined and available to be used in the context of the ‘do’ block.

Thanks!

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Maybe just me, but I think its a little "prettier"if the handle/2 generated function becomes a handle/3 like:

defmodule MessageHandlers do
  defmacro routed_message_handler(module, message_name, expression) do
    quote do
      def handle(unquote(module), unquote(message_name), var!(message)) do
        unquote(expression)
      end
    end
  end
end
msw10100

msw10100 OP

That IS prettier, yeah.

Putting the var!(message) in the handler definition is definitely neater than declaring it in a separate expression. So now is looks like:

  defmacro routed_message_handler2(message_class, message_name, expression) do
    quote do
      def handle("#{unquote(message_class)}#{unquote(message_name)}RoutedMessage", var!(message)) do
        unquote(expression)
      end
    end
  end

I’m still likely to leave it as a handle/2 with a block, though, but only because the thing I have to match is a string inside the message header that contains the two message_class and the message_name and the literal “RoutedMessage”, and I’d rather not have to parse that before calling the handler.

Many thanks for the tip!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews