thojanssens1

thojanssens1

Say I have the following interfaces/sections in my app:

  • presentation/marketing pages with the registration form, using simple Phoenix templates and controllers for those pages and the registration (no LiveView)

  • a GraphQL interface, using resolvers and schema (serving a JavaScript SPA)

  • an admin backend using LiveView

All those different sections of my application use the same business logic/domain (which would be the foo folder alongside the foo_web folder).

At some point I just thought to create separate apps or dependencies, depending on the common business logic/domain code, but I’m not sure whether it’s a good idea. (I still think that having the marketing website separate in the future might be a good idea in order to separate the traffic of the registered users using the app with the traffic of the public website’s guests and bots by different deployment, but I probably think too prematurely).

As those sections of the website are separate and using different technologies, and in order to not have all this code mixed up together and clearly see which code belongs to which section of the app, is there any code organization technique I could use to group code together by section?
(I still think there might be some code shared such as the Endpoint and other connection configuration, not sure yet).

Any advice is appreciated:)

Showing Posts 1 to 3

cmo

cmo

Folders.

It doesn’t really matter where the file is. Create a directory structure under web that makes sense to you, e.g one for marketing, one for admin, one for API.

derpycoder

derpycoder

Yup there is a way to namespace your logic:

Excerpt:

By default, the LiveView modules will be namespaced by the web module. You can customize the web module namespace by passing the --web flag with a module name, for example:

mix phx.gen.live Accounts User users --web Sales

Which would generate the LiveViews in lib/app_web/live/sales/user_live/, namespaced AppWeb.Sales.UserLive instead of AppWeb.UserLive.


See: Web Namespace


P.S. This kinds of separation is why I asked the following question in the forum, to avoid writing presentation and marketing pages in old school way, can’t we just mark a LiveView as InertView or dead view?!?:

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

I’ve found that an umbrella project works really well for this kind of setup. You’d end up with four directories in apps:

  • a domain (please think of a better name) that has Ecto etc machinery in it and starts a Repo
  • a marketing_web that has an Endpoint attached to (say) port 4000 and has a simple Router
  • an api_web that has an Endpoint attached to port 4100 and talks GraphQL
  • an admin_web that has an Endpoint attached to port 4200 and talks LiveView

The upside of this approach is that each individual *_web is simpler and can skip bits it doesn’t care about - for instance, api_web doesn’t need to start esbuild etc because it doesn’t have assets.

The downside is that network routing gets trickier since there are now three Endpoints on different ports. You can use something like main_proxy to do this inside of your application, or use an external load-balancer that takes care of the details. The last time I set one of these up, we had Nginx routing different subdomains to different ports so that admin.example.com went to admin_web while api.example.com went to api_web.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews