rlopzc
Hello, i’m Romario Lopez. I have been learning/playing with elixir in the past 3 months and i really like it, the community, forums, tutorials, books, etc.
I want to contribute to this programming language or another libraries that are very useful, but where do i start?. Do i need to learn metaprogramming by Chris Mccord?
Does someone have a roadmap? How do i start contributing to open source projects in elixir?
Maybe there are a lot of newcomers that have a lot of ideas and only they need a push to become one of the elixir’s core team!
Thanks
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 9- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
christopheradams
There are so many ways to get involved. Start with the libraries you are already using, and find them on Github. Take a look at the open issues, try to reproduce the problems, and report your findings. Read through the docs, and look for things that can be improved. Browse through the list of (closed) pull requests to see what kind of changes get accepted. Get used to reading the source code!
christopheradams
Also, hang out in the Elixir Slack and see what kinds of questions people have. Try to answer them yourself using the docs and source code. Sometimes people’s questions or comments will give you an idea about how to improve the library they are asking about.
rlopzc
Thanks, will do!
PragTob
Building on that, docs are really a great place to start. I’m a huge fan of doctesting so whenever I read docs, especially core elixir, and wished there were doctests I make a mental not of PRing those. Small, effective, helps lots of people and maintainers appreciate them. Most of my elixir-lang PRs have been of that kind
swelham
Also we have the missing libs thread setup where the community can add ideas for new libraries that are currently not available in the elixir ecosystem.
rrrene
Credo is always looking for newcomers to contribute to the codebase. We also try to keep an up-to-date list of “Help wanted” issues on GitHub: Issues · rrrene/credo · GitHub
sihui_io
Hi Romario,
If you are interested in contributing to Elixir itself, I just wrote a guide about that.
How to Contribute to Elixir: A Step-by-Step Guide
Exadra37
A nice tip to add to the blog, at least for Linux users is:
Without exporting the local
binto thePATH, any changes we make to the code will not make any effect.So changing some code in a Mix task and then doing
make compilefollowed by./bin/mix local.hexwill use the installedmixon the host, instead of the one in./bin/mix, and this is because of the shebang in the file./bin/mix:kelvinst
I have being doing livestreams doing some contributions to elixir open-source projects, here’s the topic to follow: