nallwhy

nallwhy

I’m using GitHub - larskrantz/logger_papertrail_backend: A Papertrail backend for Elixir Logger · GitHub.

From Elixir v1.15.0, it shows warnings like below.

warning: the log level :warn is deprecated, use :warning instead
  (logger 1.15.0) lib/logger.ex:1137: Logger.elixir_level_to_erlang_level/1
  (logger 1.15.0) lib/logger.ex:591: Logger.compare_levels/2
  (logger_papertrail_backend 1.1.0) lib/logger_papertrail_backend/logger.ex:60: LoggerPapertrailBackend.Logger.meet_level?/2
  (logger_papertrail_backend 1.1.0) lib/logger_papertrail_backend/logger.ex:33: LoggerPapertrailBackend.Logger.handle_event/2
  (stdlib 5.0.1) gen_event.erl:802: :gen_event.server_update/4
  (stdlib 5.0.1) gen_event.erl:784: :gen_event.server_notify/4
  (stdlib 5.0.1) gen_event.erl:786: :gen_event.server_notify/4
  (stdlib 5.0.1) gen_event.erl:526: :gen_event.handle_msg/6
  (stdlib 5.0.1) proc_lib.erl:241: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3

Logger send :warn to logger backends instead of :warning.

This is reported as “warn” in Elixir’s logger backends for backwards compatibility reasons.

https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/v1.14.4/lib/logger/lib/logger.ex#L956

logger_papertrail_backend uses Logger.compare_level/2, so it inputs :warn to Logger.compare_level/2.

I want to disable that warning from logger_papertrail_backend.

How can I do that?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

christhekeele

christhekeele

Per the Logger docs:

If you want to purge all log calls from an application named :foo and only keep errors from Bar.foo/3, you can set up two different matches:

config :logger,
  compile_time_purge_matching: [
    [application: :foo],
    [module: Bar, function: "foo/3", level_lower_than: :error]
  ]

So I assume for your purposes you could write something like:

config :logger, compile_time_purge_matching: [
  [application: :logger_papertrail_backend, level_lower_than: :error
]
nallwhy

nallwhy OP

Thank you!

suddengunter

suddengunter

This does not work for me for some reason, any ideas why?
https://github.com/SuddenGunter/mqtt-liveview/blob/main/config/dev.exs#L61-L63

config :logger, :console,
  format: "[$level] $message\n",
  compile_time_purge_matching: [
    [module: ExMQTT, level_lower_than: :error]
  ]

Even with this I still see ExMQTT debug logs

christhekeele

christhekeele

The docs for ExMQTT state:

An Elixir wrapper around the Erlang emqtt library.

It’s possible that logs from the ExMQTT module itself are being purged, but logs from modules in the wrapped :emqtt library are still being emitted.

What specific messages are you seeing? You could use that to triangulate the emitting module by grepping around the source code for the log text in both respective libraries.

MRdotB

MRdotB

Another thing to be aware is that you need recompile the deps after setting up the config.
Example

# since tesla and ecto_sql are deps don't forget to recompile them if you want to turn on / off their logs
# mix deps.compile --force tesla ecto_sql
config :logger,
  backends: [:console],
  compile_time_purge_matching: [
    [application: :ecto_sql],
    [application: :tesla],
    [module: Lor.Lol.Replays.Worker, level_lower_than: :info]
  ]
suddengunter

suddengunter

Good idea, but no, I see ExMQTT logs:
they are all prefixed with [ExMQTT]

[debug] [ExMQTT] Connecting to localhost:1883
....
[debug] [ExMQTT] Connected #PID<0.711.0>

Another thing to be aware is that you need recompile the deps after setting up the config.

Yeah, I’ve tried it:

rm -rf _build
rm -rf deps
mix deps.get
mix deps.compile
mix phx.server

I’m starting to think maybe there is something specific to running the app with mix phx.server that is breaking this for me

UPD:
I fixed it with this:

# Do not include metadata nor timestamps in development logs
config :logger, :console, format: "[$level] $message\n"

Logger.put_module_level(ExMQTT, :error)
Logger.put_module_level(:emqtt, :error)

I don’t really like that those put_module_level are not part of config :logger section, but I was not able to figure out how to do it otherwise (and compile_time_purge_matching also did not work, not sure why - don’t really care in this case)

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews