rudebono

rudebono

Hi everyone,

I’m pretty new to Membrane and don’t have much experience with media programming in general. I’m working on a personal project and have run into a problem I can’t seem to solve.

Here’s my question:

My goal is to take a short video or audio file and have it play on a continuous, infinite loop.

I’ve searched through the official docs, the website, and GitHub examples. I found plenty of information on how to play a file once, but I’m completely stuck on how to make it loop.

I’ve even asked an AI for suggestions, but it gave me a bunch of different ideas (like using a custom Source, a dynamic Pad, or handling Events) that were confusing and didn’t work when I tried them.

So, I was hoping someone here could help.

What is the standard or recommended way to loop a file in Membrane?

I’m looking for a stable and reliable approach.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Showing Posts 1 to 2

mat-hek

mat-hek

Membrane Core Team

Hi there, unfortunately, due to how the framework is designed, it’s not straightforward. The best way IMO is to use the handle_element_end_of_stream callback to know when the stream finishes and restart the pipeline or a part of it. If you want to restart only a part of the pipeline, you need a tee between the part you want to restart and the rest. The stream needs to be at least demuxed (extracted from a container) at that point.

Another approach is to use a looping filter that will buffer the entire stream, as described here. The problem with this approach is that it, well, buffers the entire stream :wink:

rudebono

rudebono OP

Hello.

I got the idea from the handle_element_end_of_stream callback method you suggested and the link you shared.

Instead of removing the pipeline to stop the media streaming with RTMP later,

I chose to use a custom Membrane.Filter to loop the file again.

Here is a simple example I made:

defmodule MyApp.Application do
  use Application

  @impl true
  def start(_type, _args) do
    children = [
      MyApp.Pipeline
    ]

    opts = [strategy: :one_for_one, name: MyApp.Supervisor]
    Supervisor.start_link(children, opts)
  end
end
defmodule MyApp.Pipeline do
  use Membrane.Pipeline

  @location :code.priv_dir(:my_app) |> Path.join("bgm_24000hz_1ch_s16le.wav")
  @stream_format %Membrane.RawAudio{sample_rate: 24_000, channels: 1, sample_format: :s16le}

  def start_link(_opts) do
    Membrane.Pipeline.start_link(__MODULE__, [], name: __MODULE__)
  end

  @impl true
  def handle_init(_ctx, _opts) do
    spec = [
      child(:source, %Membrane.File.Source{location: @location, seekable?: true})
      |> child(:loop_filter, MyApp.LoopFilter)
      |> child(:raw_parser, %Membrane.RawAudioParser{
        stream_format: @stream_format,
        overwrite_pts?: true
      })
      |> child(:sink, Membrane.PortAudio.Sink)
    ]

    {[spec: spec], %{}}
  end
end
defmodule MyApp.LoopFilter do
  use Membrane.Filter

  def_input_pad(:input, accepted_format: _any)
  def_output_pad(:output, accepted_format: _any)

  @impl true
  def handle_init(_ctx, _opts) do
    {[], %{}}
  end

  @impl true
  def handle_playing(_ctx, state) do
    {[event: {:input, %Membrane.File.SeekSourceEvent{start: :bof, size_to_read: :infinity}}],
     state}
  end

  @impl true
  def handle_event(:input, %Membrane.File.EndOfSeekEvent{}, _ctx, state) do
    {[event: {:input, %Membrane.File.SeekSourceEvent{start: :bof, size_to_read: :infinity}}],
     state}
  end

  @impl true
  def handle_event(pad, event, ctx, state) do
    super(pad, event, ctx, state)
  end

  @impl true
  def handle_buffer(:input, buffer, _ctx, state) do
    {[buffer: {:output, buffer}], state}
  end
end

There’s no problem with Membrane.PortAudio.Sink, but later, when I add an audio mixer and send it via RTMP, additional pipelines may be created.

I’ll ask if I have more questions later.

It was very helpful, Thank you!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews