boriscy

boriscy

I have this code in my controller

  def create(conn, %{"order" => order_params}) do
    order_params = get_params(conn, order_params)

    case Order.create(order_params) do
      {:ok, order} ->
        Publit.OrganizationChannel.broadcast_order(order)
        render(conn, "show.json", order: order)
      {:error, cs} ->
        conn
        |> put_status(:unprocessable_entity)
        |> render("errors.json", cs: cs)
    end
  end

I want to be able to test that the Publit.OrganizationChannel.broadcast_order(order) method has been called in my controller tests, I have created tests for my channel but have not found a way to pull this out.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

This is a function, not a method. There are no methods in Elixir.

Use mock library if you really want to do that: GitHub - jjh42/mock: Mocking library for Elixir language · GitHub

boriscy

boriscy OP

Thanks, I have used mock in the past, I think in this case using mock might be the best solution but I would like to remark Jose Valim words

I will fight against mocks, stubs and YAML in Elixir with all my… friendliness and energy to promote proper education on those topics.
Jose Valim

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

In my opinion, the reason that mock’ing is wrong in the functional world is that a function does not ‘truly’ exist, rather in a purely functional world you can inline every single function in to every single place (in reality you could not, but assume this for now), thus checking that a function is called makes no sense.

In the functional world it is better to test contracts, since a function should always return the same data for the same input if properly made (and enforced in many functional languages, including Erlang/Elixir) you can just test for that, and in fact you can build up test cases dynamically via PropEr and such. Since the EVM has fully segmented ‘units’ called processes that makes it easy to test for messages being sent between them. And with this realization you may also notice that in the OOP world you can only mock ‘objects’, and object in the OOP world is most similar to a process in the EVM world, and you can and indeed ‘should’ mock processes, but do not ever mock functions, modules, or anything else at all, only processes.

Given that:

  • Your functions should be pure (they may send or receive a message, but you can mock those), so testing them becomes trivial.
  • Your integration tests should be pure (they may also send or receive messages, but you can mock those too).
  • And more importantly, you can let the system mostly test itself once you tell it how to via things like PropEr or Quickcheck (does Quickcheck still have that abysmal license?).

Thus by asking ‘How can I test a method has been called’ shows that you are testing the entirely wrong thing. You should be testing that a specific function returns an appropriate output for the given input, or sends an appropriate message, or so forth.

Every module that wraps a process should have some method of being able to override its name or PID (there is always ‘some’ way, though refactoring it a bit can make it substantially easier).

:slight_smile:

hubertlepicki

hubertlepicki

Yeah, that is why I wrote “if you really want to do that”.

mariosangiorgio

mariosangiorgio

I’d suggest you to read this excellent post by José Valim Mocks and explicit contracts « Plataformatec Blog

You should design your application to have well defined boundaries between its different components.

In your case, once you define the boundaries, you just want to test that the broadcast function is invoked. You can do that using the trick of sending a message to self described in the post.

boriscy

boriscy OP

I have read that post and have applied that pattern in one for one scenario, but I think this scenario has a more difficult way to do the testing. Thanks.

scrogson

scrogson

Phoenix Core Team

You can test this much easier than you think. In your test you can simply subscribe the test process to the event that will be broadcasted and use assert_receive…sorry on mobile.

dom

dom

Providing some links:

Something like Publit.PubSub.subscribe(topic) then assert_receive later should be enough, no mock involved.

manukall

manukall

I have written a blog post about the general case some days ago. It builds on José’s post that was mentioned above.
Maybe it’s helpful for someone: https://pryin.io/blog/mocks-and-side-effects/

baash05

baash05

This doesn’t work in the real world..
I want to test that my function saves to the database. If it saves then it returns :ok:

To pass this test
def save_to_db(%{id: nil}), do: {:error, “bad id”}
def save_to_db(_data), do: :ok

Now the test passes. I sent in data, and it passes the test.. I get an OK back.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews