Skysoft13

Skysoft13

I am try to migrate these days to elixir, and I have existing project, I want to learn graphql api with absinthe. it has mix.exs file like that:

defmodule BlogApp.Mixfile do
  use Mix.Project

  def project do
    [app: :blog_app,
     version: "0.0.1",
     elixir: "~> 1.4",
     elixirc_paths: elixirc_paths(Mix.env),
     compilers: [:phoenix, :gettext] ++ Mix.compilers,
     build_embedded: Mix.env == :prod,
     start_permanent: Mix.env == :prod,
     aliases: aliases(),
     deps: deps()]
  end

  # Configuration for the OTP application.
  #
  # Type `mix help compile.app` for more information.
  def application do
    [mod: {BlogApp.Application, []},
     extra_applications: [:logger]]
  end

  # Specifies which paths to compile per environment.
  defp elixirc_paths(:test), do: ["lib", "test/support"]
  defp elixirc_paths(_),     do: ["lib"]

  # Specifies your project dependencies.
  #
  # Type `mix help deps` for examples and options.
  defp deps do
    [
      {:phoenix, "~> 1.3.0-rc"},
      {:phoenix_pubsub, "~> 1.0"},
      {:phoenix_ecto, "~> 3.2"},
      {:postgrex, ">= 0.0.0"},
      {:gettext, "~> 0.11"},
      {:cowboy, "~> 1.0"},
      {:absinthe, "~> 1.3.0-rc.0"},
      {:absinthe_plug, "~> 1.3.0-rc.0"},
      {:absinthe_ecto, git: "https://github.com/absinthe-graphql/absinthe_ecto.git"},
      {:faker, "~> 0.7"},
    ]
  end

  # Aliases are shortcuts or tasks specific to the current project.
  # For example, to create, migrate and run the seeds file at once:
  #
  #     $ mix ecto.setup
  #
  # See the documentation for `Mix` for more info on aliases.
  defp aliases do
    ["ecto.setup": ["ecto.create", "ecto.migrate", "run priv/repo/seeds.exs"],
     "ecto.reset": ["ecto.drop", "ecto.setup"],
     "test": ["ecto.create --quiet", "ecto.migrate", "test"]]
  end
end

I know manually you can update dependencies with mix deps.get , but is it possible to update dependencies automatically?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

BartOtten

BartOtten

  1. Why would you want that?
  2. What docs have you read so far?
Nicd

Nicd

There seems to be some prior art here: Mix deps.add functionality - #5 by chvanikoff – But it’s old and probably requires some massaging to work with the latest Elixir.

Here’s a long recent-ish discussion on the matter: Why doesn't the Elixir core team accept `mix deps.add` proposals?

It boils down to the fact that mix.exs is executable Elixir code. So whatever you can do in Elixir, you can do in that file. That means that the deps can be in any format and modifying the file can be a big challenge. A tool could be made to handle the 90% case, and personally I would think that’s worthwhile, but others disagree (or at least disagree that such a tool should be part of Elixir). Other than the first link in my post, I don’t know of such a tool existing.

It’s a workflow that people expect from the likes of npm install, that when they run an install/update command, their versions are automatically saved to the configuration file.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

mix.exs is not a data file like json, but code. You can use any elixir in there you want. This makes updating that file a non-trivial problem. With recent elixir version you can use GitHub - doorgan/sourceror: Utilities to manipulate Elixir source code · GitHub to do so.

Skysoft13

Skysoft13 OP

tnx so much I get it , when I use mix deps.update --all, it help me, I understand now

Skysoft13

Skysoft13 OP

tnx so much, I get it now :slight_smile:

BartOtten

BartOtten

For my information: what in his (or others) post pointed you to the —all flag?

Desty

Desty

For others like me who are coming back to old Elixir projects and need to update the versions specified in mix.exs and found this old thread, I just wanted to share the following command which makes it much easier: mix hex.outdated

❯ mix hex.outdated
Dependency  Current  Latest  Status               
httpoison   1.7.0    2.2.3   Update not possible  
nadia       0.7.0    0.7.0   Up-to-date           
paratize    2.1.5    2.1.5   Up-to-date           
poison      3.1.0    6.0.0   Update not possible  

Run `mix hex.outdated APP` to see requirements for a specific dependency.
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews