owaisqayum

owaisqayum

How can we create a nested keyword list from the following list. The list length can change with time.

list

[:a, :b, :c, :d, :e, :f]

how can we convert it to

[a: [b: [c: [d: [e: [f: [ true ] ]]]]]]

Is it possible with elixir as I tried to use recursion but it’s not working as expected.

Thanks

Showing Posts 1 to 10

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Yes it is possible. It is even the main purpose of functions in FP

… to take something as input, and transform it to any output.

Please show what You have tried.

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

actually, i have tried this

defp identifier_handling([], key_value), do: key_value

defp identifier_handling([{head, []}], key_value), do: key_value

defp identifier_handling(list, key_value) do
    [key] =
      Keyword.keys(list)
      |> IO.inspect()

    [head | tail] =
      Keyword.values(list)
      |> List.flatten()
      |> IO.inspect()

    identifier_handling([{head, tail}], key_value ++ [{key, head}])
  end

and gives me

[a: :b, b: :c, c: :d, d: :e, e: :f]

which is off course not a nested one

Thanks

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

When You have an Enumerable, and want to get one value… the usual suspect is Enum.reduce.

iex> l = [:a, :b, :c, :d, :e, :f]
iex> Enum.reduce l, [], fn x, acc -> Keyword.put([], x, acc) end   
# or
iex> Enum.reduce l, [], fn x, acc -> Keyword.new([{x, acc}]) end
[f: [e: [d: [c: [b: [a: []]]]]]]

This code does not solve your problem, but shows how to nest… I would reverse the list first, and add the final true to get it work.

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

That makes sense now, so whenever one value is related to the other one, I should use Enum.reduce.

How would to put the true in the final list, do I have to loop through the final list and then put the final value?

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

iex> l |> Enum.reverse() |> Enum.reduce([true], fn x, acc -> Keyword.new([{x, acc}]) end)
[a: [b: [c: [d: [e: [f: [true]]]]]]]

# or the short version...
iex> l |> Enum.reverse() |> Enum.reduce([true], &Keyword.new([{&1, &2}]))
owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

Enum.reduce is extremely powerful and it has reduced the code to just one line.

eksperimental

eksperimental

Here’s my take:

iex> [:a, :b, :c, :d, :e, :f] |> Enum.reverse() |> Enum.reduce([true], &([{&1, &2}]))
[a: [b: [c: [d: [e: [f: [true]]]]]]]
kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Yes, keyword new is not required :slight_smile:

BTW parens are not required too…

iex> [:a, :b, :c, :d, :e, :f] |> Enum.reverse() |> Enum.reduce([true], &[{&1, &2}])
gregvaughn

gregvaughn

Perhaps a bit :golf: ish, but I’ve never actually used foldr before, so I put this together :grin:

iex(40)> :lists.foldr(&[{&1, &2}], [true], [:a, :b, :c, :d, :e, :f])
[a: [b: [c: [d: [e: [f: [true]]]]]]]
eksperimental

eksperimental

You have List.foldr/3 if you want to make it more Elixirish.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews