axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

I’m getting the following error in my logs fairly often:

connection not available and request was dropped from queue after 476ms. You can configure how long requests wait in the queue using :queue_target and :queue_interval. See DBConnection.start_link/2 for more information

I understand that I can tweak the queue_target and queue_interval, however I’d like to better understand what (if anything) I should be trying to do before that. I have operations coming in from multiple locations that hit the database:

  • Web requests directly from clients (via phoenix/http)
  • Batch jobs from another server (via phoenix/http)
  • Batch jobs via oban

Should I be trying to provide backpressure somehow? Should I try to prioritize the client requests over the batch requests? Should I be checking the telemetry for the ecto queue time in my code?

Basically I’m trying to understand the best practices and how I should approach this problem and I’m curious to hear any thoughts (including possibly telling me that I’m thinking about this all wrong)

Showing Posts 1 to 10

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Is it really just Ecto being overwhelmed, or is it the database itself? If the database can’t keep up then doing more in Ecto won’t really help, you’d need to fix the queries. If the database is still not being fully loaded then adding more connections would probably help then (in addition to fixing up some of the more costly queries).

axelson

axelson OP

Scenic Core Team

yeah I think it is the database itself as well

And I will be looking into fixing the more costly queries but I want to look to see if there’s a general pattern/approach that I should implement as well.

drl123

drl123

Are you running MacOS? I noticed these starting to pop up on my machine too, mostly when in iex and it’s sitting idle. It may have something to do with the latest update of MacOS (I’m on Mojave 10.14.6). The db connector in my IDE also has started dropping the PG connection about the same time as I started to see the errors in iex and that was shortly after the OS had an update.

Curious if anyone else is seeing this and if it is only MacOS or Linux too.

axelson

axelson OP

Scenic Core Team
drl123

drl123

OK…well that rules out my theory! I’d been seeing it on two different machines (both on 10.14.6) and the IDE dropping even on Rails projects, although Rails wasn’t throwing errors…just the DB explorer would lose the PG connection and I’d have to reconnect.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

If it’s the database getting overwhelmed then not much you can do in ecto to help short of just adding delay to the inevitable, just need to optimize the queries or space them out more or so. :slight_smile:

Woo, that sounds like major overloading?

axelson

axelson OP

Scenic Core Team

So if I wanted to slow down my batch processing, could I control the amount of slowdown based on how overloaded ecto/the database is?

I’m thinking it would be possible to create a telemetry handler that’ll record how long the queuing time is and if it is too long, then the next batch job will be delayed to give the db some time to “cool off”

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

You could ask PG what it’s usage is, or maybe check the pool to see how many are checked out and halt for a period if too high? Honestly I’m more curious in what the queries are actually doing…

axelson

axelson OP

Scenic Core Team

How would you ask PG what it’s usage is? Or check how checked out ecto’s pool is? I don’t see an API to get that info.

Yeah, I might start a separate thread about the queries themselves.

hauleth

hauleth

Have you checked system catalogs? Like that.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews