How did this community get to be what it is?

Ben has given you a great answer and I would just add that from my perspective it was about helping instil the standards that I felt José (and others) wanted for the community given what I knew about him, Chris and Elixir at the time - it just so happened that I shared many of the same values and that made me realise I could help achieve those goals (while at the same time help prevent many of the pitfalls) given I had some good experience in the space. So I’ve been more like a conduit really, for what people like Ben wanted :003:

Speaking of @benwilson512, here’s what I said about him in our 2022 Update thread:

Our community is awesome and has got to where it has precisely because of people like Ben in it :blush:

In answer to your wider question, we actually touched upon this in our 2023 update:

Positivity is incredibly powerful and has without a doubt been a major factor in the Elixir success story - your words and actions can influence things in more ways than you might imagine :orange_heart:

In fact you have reminded me of this amazing talk which I think is quite fitting here:

10 Likes