andarotajo

andarotajo

Hello, I’m very new to Elixir and looking to get started on a little project I’m interested in. Inspired by this blog post I’d like to build a “simple” client library giving users a simpler way to use Home Assistant’s WebSocket API.

I think a library like this give users the most flexibility in how they write automations and keeps the project scope limited for my own sanity :slight_smile:

But since Elixir and writing libraries in general are very new to me, I’d love to get some pointers on how to go about that. Things I’ve been wondering:

  • I thought about building the library around callbacks, e.g. a callback for Home Assistant’s state changes, allowing the user to pattern match what they need. How do I build a WebSocket client around this concept
  • Is using a GenServer the way to go? I’d need to keep a state
  • Besides the URL there’s also a token I’d need to connect to Home Assistant. Is there a “best practice” on how to configure stuff like this?

Some good libraries I can use as guidance for code quality and stuff would probably help if you’ve got some suggestions.

For reference, this is Home Assistant’s WebSocket API

Thank you very much for helping!

Showing Posts 1 to 4

jstimps

jstimps

I like to use gun for client-side ws work. A while ago I wrote a little Livebook example to remind my future self of the function calls involved.

bbangert

bbangert

I recently extracted a websocket lib for HA that I published on hex: Hassock — hassock v0.1.3

This uses the newer HA command that uses diff’s for efficiency with an optional ETS cache for faster queries without sending everything over the websocket connection.

andarotajo

andarotajo OP

Thanks for the heads up! To be honest I didn’t touch Elixir much after experimenting around a bit but this project is still on my list for when I finally learn Elixir.

Looks great on first glance. Have you tried writing an automation with it or plan to?

bbangert

bbangert

Currently I use this library on a bit of a test project to control a LoupeDeck Live device ( GitHub - bbangert/loupey: Elixir library for Loupedeck devices · GitHub ). I’ll eventually bake this into a Nerves project and add Elgato StreamDeck support, so that its easy to have stand-alone physical Home Assistant controls and displays with a bit more powerful software backing it than what ESPHome can do.
My Loupedeck mainly acts as a display and control for HA, so I can turn the volume knob to change the volume of my audio deck, tap a touch slider to change the light levels that HA controls via Phillips Hue, and I have some buttons that just display sensor states.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews