owaisqayum

owaisqayum

I have defined a module GS where genserver will be used and I need to create tables. I have the whole logic of the program In another module named base. How do I inherit handle_call in my genserver GS module ?

GS MODULE:

defmodule GS do
  use GenServer
  @name gen
  # client
  def start_link(opts \\ []) do
    GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, [], opts ++ [name: gen])
  end

  def creating_tables(tables_list) do
    GenServer.call(@name, {:creating_tables, tables_list})
  end

  # server
  def init(initial_state) do
    {:ok, initial_state}
  end
end

BASE MODULE

defmodule Base do
  def handle_call({:creating_tables}, _from, state_tables_list) do
    tables = Enum.map(state_tables_list, fn table -> create(table) end)
    {:reply, tables, state_tables_list}
  end

  defp create(table) do
    try do
      :ets.new(table, [:named_table, :bag])
    rescue
      ArgumentError -> table
    end
  end
end

Showing Posts 1 to 9

Laetitia

Laetitia

Why do you want to extract this function from the GS module? Do you want to create an extended genserver?

I think handle_call has to be in the genserver module as it is a callback implementation.
If you want, you can extract the logic of the table creation in another module and use it in your genserver.

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

Thanks for such a prompt response. Actually, I will have other features in my Base module which i want to affiliate with other genserver. Keeping them under ‘GS’ will make it crowded.

Laetitia

Laetitia

I will be happy to help. I need more infos.
Why it is a Base? What is the role of this module?

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

So Base is like a Base table in database where tables can be created or deleted and also can add or delete data from it. GS will be a genserver module where i can create multiple tables concurrently and later in my program add data to tables concurrently.

Laetitia

Laetitia

In this case, keep the handle_call function in GS. The Base module is a TableCreator (surely, you can find a better name)

defmodule TableCreator do
   def create_tables(tables) when is_list(tables) do
      tables |> Enum.map(fn table -> create(table) end)
   end

  defp create(table) do
    try do
      :ets.new(table, [:named_table, :bag])
    rescue
      ArgumentError -> table
    end
  end
end

and in the genserver module the function handle_call would be

def handle_call({:creating_tables}, _from, state_tables_list) do
    tables = TableCreator.create_tables(state_tables_list)
    {:reply, tables, state_tables_list}
  end

i hope it helps :wink:

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

So, Basically i must have to use handle call inside my GenServer.

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

I agree with @Laetitia and will add that handle_call and the tuple it returns is your contract with GenServer. That logic belongs in the GenServer callback module. But you can certainly call out to shared logic in another module in the body of the function.

I’d also caution you about bottlenecking your system. You seem to want to make it easy to create multiple ets tables. Those are owned by a process for lifecycle management purposes and you’re not making them public (nor are you accepting a parameter to do so) so all access will have to go through a single GenServer, which only handles a single message at a time.

owaisqayum

owaisqayum OP

Yes, I agree, and thanks a lot for such valuable feedback. Actually, I will make each :ets table a separate table. So, all the entries to a single table are handled by a separate process. I was wrong initially when I stated that each would have a separate process. Thanks for correcting me.

lud

lud

You must define handle_call/3 in the module you give to GenServer.start_link/3.

Your code:

 GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, [], opts ++ [name: gen])

Here you give __MODULE__, so you give GS.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews