digitsu
Hi I’m trying to do something simple, which is just to connect to a phoenix server backend via its API pipeline (JSON) using not a js client, but a separate elixir process. I understand that if this process is going to talk websockets/phoenix channels, there is the PhoenixClient library that can be used, but I just need to talk standard HTTP, sending across JSON messages through POST/GET etc.
Is there a library that can do this? I think all I need to get is a handle on the connection, and I think the standard phoenix library should be able to do this but the only examples I can see of this is wrapped up in the PhoenixConnTest module, and I want to do this outside the context of a test.
Thanks! ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
beepbeepbopbop
So as far as I can tell, you’re basically trying to call an endpoint in an existing Elixir application? If so, there’s a number of HTTP clients that you can utilise:
:httpcis provided by the Erlang runtime. While it does work, there’s a lot of Erlang idioms that you’ll need to use.hackneyis a pretty common HTTP client written for Erlang. It’s a fairly used alternative tohttpc.mintis probably the most recent HTTP client on the block, written in Elixir.However, I would make the distinction between the HTTP client library as wrappers that use said client libraries/abstractions. One such example is
finch(GitHub - sneako/finch: Elixir HTTP client, focused on performance · GitHub) which utilisesmintwhich is focused on performance.If you want something even more generalised, Tesla (GitHub - elixir-tesla/tesla: The flexible HTTP client library for Elixir, with support for middleware and multiple adapters. · GitHub) can be used with various HTTP clients (
finch,hackney,httpc), that includes abstractions such as middleware and a more module definition approach to client design.Keep in mind that these assume “normal” HTTP requests. If you need something to work with Phoenix channels, I recall an Elixir library for that, but it escapes me at the moment.
digitsu
This is super. Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.
I’ll check out these libs.
FYI the library for channels is PhoenixClient, which just does channels and not plain HTTP.