reight

reight

Hello all,

Is there an idiomatic way to destroy all records in the table with Ash Framework, similar to read_all()?
Or maybe some escape hatch to Ecto?

I tried to do it with manual action, but it requires changeset.
The only way I could think of is to do it with generic action, something like

    action :destroy_all, :string do
      argument :dummy, :string, allow_nil?: true

      run(fn _input, _context ->
        read_all!()
        |> Enum.map(&destroy!(&1))

        {:ok, []}
      end)
    end

But that’s suboptimal, to say the least.

EDIT: clarification that the question is Ash related

Showing Posts 1 to 6

egze

egze

Have a look at the docs: Repo.delete_all/2

EDIT: re-read the question and it seems it’s more about the Ash way of doing it. But the docs above is how to do it with raw Ecto, just need to figure out how to call it from Ash. Maybe: Manual Actions — ash v3.29.3

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Yeah I am also not super sure about how to do this in Ash, but as a minor database note TRUNCATE is the ideal way to delete all rows in a table. delete_all has to essentially write an update for every row, marking it as deleted, where as TRUNCATE basically just deletes the file associated with the table data.

sbuttgereit

sbuttgereit

I would agree that TRUNCATE would be the first choice if all conditions allow… and in many basic scenarios you’ll be fine; but one needs to use TRUNCATE with some care in more complex scenarios. (Assuming PostgreSQL)

  • There are special considerations if the table is used in other table foreign key references.

  • If you have ON DELETE triggers, they will not fire.

  • TRUNCATE is not fully MVCC safe in relation to certain concurrent transactions.

and there are one or two other more subtle issues as well (PostgreSQL: Documentation: 18: TRUNCATE).

Because of the special nature of TRUNCATE and the efficiency it tries to bring to mass delete operations, there can be similar issues in other vendor’s databases as well. For example, in PostgreSQL, while fully not MVCC safe, you can roll back a TRUNCATE operation, but in Oracle you cannot.

So I would advise anyone needing to delete all the data in a table to TRUNCATE if they can, but it’s one of those commands that you really need to understand and use with care.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Ash doesn’t have a bulk delete or truncate, so you’d use ecto directly to either delete everything with TRUNCATE or Repo.delete_all

reight

reight OP

Thank you all for your help!

So just to close the case, I ended up using following generic action:

  actions do
    defaults [:create, :read, :update, :destroy]

    action :destroy_all, :term do
      run(fn _, _ ->
        case __MODULE__
             |> MyApp.Repo.to_ecto()
             |> MyApp.Repo.delete_all() do
          {n, result} when is_integer(n) -> {:ok, result}
          error -> {:error, error}
        end
      end)
    end
  end

And that gives me MyApp.Api.Resource.destroy_all()

netto

netto

If anyone else comes across this like I did, there is now a bulk_destroy function.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews