kbee

kbee

Hello community,

I’m new to phoenix and struggling to implement a feature that would allow my users to apply a theme of their choice (e.g. animals, cars, nature).

Each of these themes has its own assets and I’m using put_layout to assign the chosen layout but struggling to render the views according to the chosen theme

My controller looks like this

defmodule Client.PageController do
  use Client, :controller
  
  def index(conn, _params) do
    theme = get_user_theme(conn)

    conn
    |> put_layout(theme)
    |> render('index.html')
  end
end 

My templates directory

templates\
 -> layouts
     - app.html.eex
     - themeA.html.eex
     - themeB.html.eex
 -> pages
     - index.html.eex
 -> themeA
     - index.html.eex
 -> themeB
     - index.html.eex

how do i dynamically choose between themeA/index.html.eex and themeB/index.html.eex without getting a template not found error

Showing Posts 1 to 4

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

Hello and welcome,

I think it should be…

|> put_layout(theme)

as theme is your variable.

kbee

kbee OP

thanks for catching the type @kokolegorille. The layout part works ok. it’s dynamically rendering the template I’m having trouble with. See the example below

defmodule Client.PageController do
  use Client, :controller
  
  def index(conn, _params) do
    theme = get_user_theme(conn)

    conn
    |> put_layout(theme)
    |> render('#{theme}/index.html')
  end
end 
kokolegorille

kokolegorille

If You are using PageController, You are using PageView, which will look into template/page.

Try to put themes folder inside page folder.

kbee

kbee OP

@kokolegorille thanks for your answer. It set me back on track. I was able to get it to to render using by moving and renaming themeA\index.html.eex to page\themeA.index.html.

I wanted to be able to neatly put organise themes in folders and I found this topic https://forum.elixirforum.com/t/how-to-render-a-template-inside-a-web-templates-folder-subfolder/1404/6?u=kbee and changed my view to

defmodule MyApp.PageView do
  use Phoenix.View, root: "lib/myapp/templates", pattern: "**/*"
end

and now I can do

defmodule MyApp.PageController do
  use MyApp, :controller
  
  def index(conn, _params) do
    theme = get_user_theme(conn)

    conn
    |> put_layout(theme)
    |> render('#{theme}/index.html')
  end
end 
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews