sbrink

sbrink

Hi, I want to modify elixir files based on the AST.

For the result I want to the elixir formatter.

For a prototype I tried the following and it almost works:

  File.read!("example.ex")
  |> read_contents_of_file()
  |> Code.string_to_quoted!()
  |> Macro.to_string()
  # |> Code.format_string!()
  # |> IO.iodata_to_binary

The problem are the parentheses. They’re added everywhere. An example result:

"defmodule(Example) do\n  def(output(str)) do\n    IO.inspect(str)\n  end\nend"

The documentation for Macro.to_string states “This function discards all formatting of the original code.”.

So is it possible to keep the formatting of the original code?

Thanks in advance for every piece of advice or idea :slight_smile:

  • Sascha

Showing Posts 1 to 10

blatyo

blatyo

Conduit Core Team

You could pass the :locals_without_parens option to Code.format_string!/2 and see if that fixes the issue.

Since the formatter internally works on quoted code, it seems like it’d be reasonable to suggest a new public API to allow passing quoted code directly.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

The formatter works on heavily annotated AST to be able to preserve the user’s choice in some cases, that’s why it doesn’t work directly on the given AST, because it cannot guaranteed something close to a similar result. The best solution here would be to improve Macro.to_string. For example, it can skip adding parens in do/end blocks.

blatyo

blatyo

Conduit Core Team

Would it make sense for Code.string_to_quoted/2 to create the heavily annotated AST? Then the formatter could work directly on it? It seems odd to me that the recommended workflow would be:

  1. string to quoted
  2. modify quoted
  3. quoted to string
  4. string to formatted
    1. string to quoted
    2. quoted to io data
josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

We don’t want to expose this internal AST in any way because there is nothing you can do with it this AST we would be able to guarantee compatibility between versions. If you want to format a string, then you need to either go with format string or format file directly.

neenjaw

neenjaw

@sbrink – did you eventually get this to work for you? I am trying to do the same for a different purpose and I cannot get Code.format_string!/2 to remove the brackets from the string output following Macro.to_string/1.

If you did get it to work, do you have an example of how you did it?

Thanks

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Look at it’s options, specifically the :locals_without_parens option, it’s default empty when run directly (the mix formatter default sets up some options).

neenjaw

neenjaw

Ya, I guess I don’t know how to use it, because when I try something like Code.format_string!(code_string, locals_without_parens: [def: :*]) (which from my understanding should remove brackets from all arities of the def macro) it still doesn’t.

Do you know where I can find the mix format call to it?

Or where in the format task the defaults are specified? I can’t find it from my reading through the source

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Hmm…

iex(7)> s
"def(blah(i)) do 42 end"
iex(8)> Code.format_string!(s, locals_without_parens: [def: 1, def: 2, def: 3, def: :*])|>IO.puts()
def(blah(i)) do
  42
end
:ok

And yet the Code.format_string! docs state:

### Parens and no parens in function calls

Elixir has two syntaxes for function calls. With parens and no parens. By
default, Elixir will add parens to all calls except for:

  1. calls that have do/end blocks
  2. local calls without parens where the name and arity of the local call
     is also listed under :locals_without_parens (except for calls with arity
     0, where the compiler always require parens)

The choice of parens and no parens also affects indentation. When a function
call with parens doesn't fit on the same line, the formatter introduces a
newline around parens and indents the arguments with two spaces:

    some_call(
      arg1,                                                                                                                           
      arg2,                                                                                                                           
      arg3                                                                                                                            
    )     

On the other hand, function calls without parens are always indented by the
function call length itself, like this:

    some_call arg1,
              arg2,                                                                                                                   
              arg3                                                                                                                    

If the last argument is a data structure, such as maps and lists, and the
beginning of the data structure fits on the same line as the function call,
then no indentation happens, this allows code like this:

    Enum.reduce(some_collection, initial_value, fn element, acc ->
      # code                                                                                                                          
    end)                                                                                                                              
                                                                                                                                      
    some_function_without_parens %{                                                                                                   
      foo: :bar,                                                                                                                      
      baz: :bat                                                                                                                       
    }      

And yet it’s not working, at least in Elixir 1.9.1. Might be worth trying on master and if still not working then submitting a bug issue?

neenjaw

neenjaw

On master:

iex(1)> ast = quote do                                     
...(1)>   def add(a, b), do: a + b
...(1)> end
{:def, [context: Elixir, import: Kernel],
 [
   {:add, [context: Elixir], [{:a, [], Elixir}, {:b, [], Elixir}]},
   [
     do: {:+, [context: Elixir, import: Kernel],
      [{:a, [], Elixir}, {:b, [], Elixir}]}
   ]
 ]}
iex(2)> ast |> Macro.to_string
"def(add(a, b)) do\n  a + b\nend"
iex(3)> ast |> Macro.to_string |> Code.format_string!(locals_without_parens: [def: 1, def: 2, def: 3, def: :*])
["def", "(", "", "add", "(", "", "a", ",", " ", "b", "", ")", "", ")", " do",
 "\n  ", "a", " +", " ", "b", "\n", "end"]
iex(4)> ast |> Macro.to_string |> Code.format_string!(locals_without_parens: [def: 1, def: 2, def: 3, def: :*]) |> IO.puts()
def(add(a, b)) do
  a + b
end
:ok

I’ll file a bug report, thanks @OvermindDL1

neenjaw

neenjaw

Local without parens do not remove parens. They only keep a call without parens if they were not there in the first place. The feature that you want has to be implemented in #9291.
- Jose Valim (via github)

Turns out it’s not a bug. It doesn’t do what it seems to imply, but maybe via #9291 it will someday!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews