fwoodruff

fwoodruff

I’m working on a toy networking project and I want to add a TLS layer between the server and the client. I’m getting handshake errors that I’m trying to figure out how to debug.

The TL;DR is probably: ‘what arguments do I pass to :ssl.listen/2’ but here is the minimal example.

First I create a new project with mix new tls_question.

I have added :crypto and :ssl to mix.exs like so:

def application do
    [
      extra_applications: [:logger, :crypto, :ssl]
    ]
end

I have then generated an SSL certificate with

openssl req -x509 -newkey rsa:4096 -keyout key.pem -out cert.pem -sha256 -days 365

and moved key.pem and cert.pem into the project folder.

I then have the following minimal program

defmodule TlsQuestion do
  @ip {127,0,0,1}
  @port 4343
  def main do
    :ssl.start()
    {:ok, listen_socket} = :ssl.listen(@port,
      [ certs_keys: [
          keyfile: "key.pem",
          certfile: "cert.pem",
          password: "CorrectHorseBatteryStaple"
        ],
        reuseaddr: true
      ])
    spawn(fn -> client() end)
    {:ok, accept_socket} = :ssl.transport_accept(listen_socket)
    {:ok, accept_socket} = :ssl.handshake(accept_socket)
    :ssl.send(accept_socket, "some bytes")
  end
  def client() do
    {:ok, connect_socket} = :ssl.connect(@ip, @port,
                              [verify: :verify_peer,
                              cacertfile: "cert.pem",
                              active: :once], :infinity)
    _message = :ssl.recv(connect_socket, 0)
  end
end
TlsQuestion.main()

From which I call mix run.

The error message might be enlightening for some but hasn’t helped me

== Compilation error in file lib/tls_question.ex ==
** (exit) exited in: :gen_statem.call(#PID<0.164.0>, {:start, :infinity}, :infinity)
    ** (EXIT) an exception was raised:
        ** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in :ssl_config.key_conf/1
            (ssl 10.8.7) ssl_config.erl:181: :ssl_config.key_conf({:keyfile, "key.pem"})
            (ssl 10.8.7) ssl_config.erl:72: :ssl_config.cert_key_pair/3
            (stdlib 4.2) lists.erl:1315: :lists.map/2
            (ssl 10.8.7) ssl_config.erl:56: :ssl_config.init_certs_keys/3
            (ssl 10.8.7) ssl_config.erl:51: :ssl_config.init/2
            (ssl 10.8.7) ssl_gen_statem.erl:164: :ssl_gen_statem.ssl_config/3
            (ssl 10.8.7) tls_connection.erl:150: :tls_connection.init/1
            (stdlib 4.2) proc_lib.erl:240: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
    (stdlib 4.2) gen.erl:243: :gen.do_call/4
    (stdlib 4.2) gen_statem.erl:900: :gen_statem.call_dirty/4
    (ssl 10.8.7) ssl_gen_statem.erl:1239: :ssl_gen_statem.call/2
    (ssl 10.8.7) ssl_gen_statem.erl:234: :ssl_gen_statem.handshake/2
    lib/tls_question.ex:16: TlsQuestion.main/0

It looks like it’s complaining about something I’m doing with the certificate and key files?

I’ve passed the certificate to the client as the CA certificate chain (since a self-signed certificate is its own certificate chain). Could that be the issue?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

mpope

mpope

I don’t know if this is the issue but looking at these docs: ssl — OTP 29.0.2 (ssl 11.7.2) it seems that certs_keys expects a list of maps, not a proplist. So try:

certs_keys: [%{
          :keyfile => "key.pem",
          :certfile => "cert.pem",
          :password => "CorrectHorseBatteryStaple"
        }]

Also see here for the example: Examples — OTP 29.0.2 (ssl 11.7.2)

fwoodruff

fwoodruff OP

Thanks! I thought I’d tried that but this is the answer.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews