Hentioe

Hentioe

My router:

live "/cities/:id/users", CityLive

I tried the handle_params function but it was never called:

def handle_params(%{"id" => id}, _uri, socket) do
  # some code
end

I tried to follow the practice in the chrismccord/phoenix_live_view_example project and still failed (session is always %{}):

def mount(%{path_params: %{"id" => id}}, socket) do
  # some code
end

Can see the parameters from the log:

image

Can anyone tell me what is missing?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

If your liveview is mounted in the router and is the root one (not nested) it should work with handle_params. I did use that a few days ago. If that‘s not the case you should be able to supply the param as part of the session data you supply for live_render.

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

You need to specify path_params as part of the live route session:

live "/cities/:id/users", CityLive,
  session: [:path_params]
Hentioe

Hentioe OP

I still have not succeeded. path_params is always nil. :frowning:

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

You can only receive path params via the handle_params/3 callback, and handle_params is only invoked for the root LV. If you are trying to get path params to a child, you need to retrieve them from the root and pass them down to the children via assigns in the parent

Hentioe

Hentioe OP

Maybe I misunderstood what? This is the root LV, which is not loaded from the parent LV. I can get the query parameters of the same level LV from handle_params, but I can’t get the path parameters.

The code is at:
https://github.com/elixirchina/community/blob/a86bb0c89bf158ead69d733a9d14a022ec28d6a9/lib/community_web/router.ex#L23

Thanks for the reply from the author!

chrismccord

chrismccord

Creator of Phoenix

The params contain the merged path params and query param so “id” should be there. Can you provide the entire LV?

Hentioe

Hentioe OP

I made a mistake, sorry! A very small mistake! This problem is invalid :joy:

Hentioe

Hentioe OP

This problem does not exist because I wrote the wrong number of handle_params parameters.

Thank you all :folded_hands: :folded_hands:

homanchou

homanchou

I too am tripped up by this. Maybe the GitHub - chrismccord/phoenix_live_view_example · GitHub for CRUD user are out of date and need to be updated?

For example on: phoenix_live_view_example/lib/demo_web/live/user_live/show.ex


  def mount(%{path_params: %{"id" => id}}, socket) do
    if connected?(socket), do: Demo.Accounts.subscribe(id)
    {:ok, fetch(assign(socket, id: id))}
  end

will break on localhost:4000/users/1 with error: no function clause matching in DemoWeb.UserLive.Show.mount/2 because the received first arg %{} can never match %{path_params: %{"id" => id}}

If the recommendation is to now use handle_params/3 to get the path_params, (which handle_params/3 is called sometime after mount/2) does that mean that it is not possible to fetch the User data in mount/2 for the first render?

tme_317

tme_317

Hi @homanchou,

Yes the CRUD user example is out of date. This working unmerged PR addresses it by using handle_params/3 to get the user by id instead of mount/2: Get users demo working again by moxley · Pull Request #45 · chrismccord/phoenix_live_view_example · GitHub

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews