pragdave
Author of Programming Elixir
How do I tell Hologram not to escape HTML when substituting into templates?
{Textile.render(@product.long_description)}
escapes the HTML, and
{Textile.render(@product.long_description) |> Phoenix.HTML.raw()}
errors out.
Cheers
Dave
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
bartblast
Hi Dave,
Great to see you using Hologram! (Big fan of your books, by the way.)
Hologram has its own template system separate from Phoenix, so
Phoenix.HTML.raw/1won’t work here - Hologram doesn’t know how to handle the{:safe, ...}tuple thatraw/1returns.Currently there’s no built-in equivalent for rendering unescaped HTML - all text interpolation is automatically escaped for security.
The good news is this would be a relatively straightforward feature to add. I’ve opened an issue to track it: Add support for unescaped HTML in templates · Issue #584 · bartblast/hologram · GitHub
How urgent is this for you?
pragdave
Thanks for the quick response. It isn’t urgent: to be honest I’m experimenting right now: I’m seeing what it would take to convert our store from the hideous static site it is now into an Elixir app, and to make it interesting I thought I’d try Hologram. It really is an amazing piece of work. I can ignore the markup for now and move on to search
Only downside: Claude doesn’t know Hologram from a hole in the ground. It says “of course” and then produces some kind of Frankencode that’s half LiveView, half I don’t know what…
But, in the meantime, I’m having a lot of fun, so thank yopu.
Dave
bartblast
Thanks, Dave - means a lot coming from you!
The Claude/AI situation is a known challenge initially. AI training data hasn’t fully caught up with Hologram yet, and Hologram recently changed its template sigil from
~H(same as LiveView) to the distinct~HOLO, so older examples can confuse AI into thinking it’s LiveView. The good news is that once you’ve got a few working pages and components in your project, AI assistance dramatically improves - it picks up the patterns from your own code and becomes genuinely useful.In the meantime, adding a
CLAUDE.mdto your project that points todeps/hologramand notes “this is Hologram, not LiveView” helps Claude Code learn the patterns from the actual source rather than its training data.deps/hologram/test/featuresis also worth pointing AI to - it exercises all Hologram-specific syntax, components, pages, events, etc. I’m also thinking about providing official AI context files that Hologram projects could include out of the box - your feedback is a good nudge to prioritize that!Feel free to ping me here if you hit walls - happy to help directly
AstonJ
Agree! I would love to see a Hologram book from PragProg one day Dave!
Hologram has gained a lot of interest in the community and Bart has been an excellent ambassador and leader of the project:
pragdave
Aston: I agree 100%. In my short time playing with it, I’ve been really impressed.
And congratulations on getting the full-time gig, Bart.
bartblast
Thank you, Dave!