jjabba
I’ve defined a table in postgresql to store a NonBinarySearchTree. The table is named nodes.
Each row contains an id, and optionally a parent_id (as a self referencing foreign key).
For ease and convenience i’ve defined two postgresql functions all_ancestors_of(id) and all_descendants_of(id)
The migration/definition of the ancestors-one looks like this
def up do
execute """
create function all_ancestors_of(node_id UUID) returns SETOF nodes AS
'WITH RECURSIVE ancestors AS (
SELECT
*
FROM
nodes
WHERE
nodes.id = all_ancestors_of.nodes_id
UNION
SELECT
parents.*
FROM
nodes AS parents
INNER JOIN ancestors a ON a.parent_id = parents.id
) SELECT * from ancestors where id != all_ancestors_of.node_id;
' LANGUAGE SQL;
"""
end
This works beautifully in SQL, but Im struggling to use these functions via Ecto.
How do I get the list of nodes (i have a schema for them) without resorting to
res = Ecto.Adapters.SQL.query!(Repo, "SELECT * from all_ancestors_of($1)", [uuid])
Enum.map(res.rows, &Repo.load(Node, {res.columns, &1}))
?
I’m was hoping to be able to do something like
query = from e in fragment(all_ancestors_of($1), [uuid])
nodes = Repo.all(query)
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
patrickdm
Hello, could Arbor (the lib or its source code) be helpfull?
jjabba
Thanks! I haven’t looked at Arbor’s source yet and Im reluctant to use it off the shelf, it would be complete overkill for my use case.
Discarding my practical use case here, does anyone have a neat approach for loading a a function result set as schema
xstructs using Ecto?thousandsofthem
Some (partially outdated) info: