Asd
Elixir 1.17 changelog states:
At the moment, Elixir developers will interact with set-theoretic types only through warnings found by the type system
I’ve compiled several old projects with Elixir 1.17 and OTP26 and I’ve found no warnings. I thought that I was doing something wrong and I’ve tried writing checking examples from the doc and still got no errors
$ elixir --version
Erlang/OTP 26 [erts-14.2.5] [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10] [async-threads:1] [jit:ns]
Elixir 1.17.1 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 26)
$ cat lib/xxx.ex
defmodule Xxx do
# Performing structural comparisons between non-overlapping types, such as integer >= string
def one(x) when is_binary(x) do
if 1 >= x do
1
else
2
end
end
# Performing structural comparisons with structs, such as my_date < ~D[2010-04-17]
def two(dt = %DateTime{}) do
if two_compare(dt, DateTime.utc_now()) do
1
else
2
end
end
def two_compare(x, y) do
x < y
end
# Accessing a key on a map or a struct that does not have the given key, such as user.adress
def three(dt = %MapSet{}) do
if three_get_field(dt) do
1
else
2
end
end
def three_get_field(x) do
x.not_present_field
end
end
$ mix compile --force --warnings-as-errors
Compiling 1 file (.ex)
Generated xxx app
Is there any compiler option I am missing or anything like this? How can I make new type system work?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
Where you get no warnings it’s not that you’re missing something, but the type system is not yet handling those cases. E.g. your
Xxx.one(…)doesn’t cause a warning, but the following does:Elixir 1.17 doesn’t suddently have a feature complete type system in the background, but it only started to integrate what a typesystem can do.