r11na

r11na

I’m trying to figure out how to use cast_embed but I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong.

defmodule Operation do
  use Ecto.Schema

  embedded_schema do
    field :amount, :integer
    field :type, :string
    embeds_one :item, Item
  end
end

defmodule Item do
  use Ecto.Schema

  embedded_schema do
    field :item_code, :string
    field :item_name, :string
  end
end

with the following data

{ 
  "item": {
    "item_code": "A1",
    "item_name": "NameA1"
  },
  "type": "type",
  "amount": 4
}

d = %{
  "amount" => 4,
  "item" => %{"item_code" => "A1", "item_name" => "NameA1"},
  "type" => "type"
}

cast(%Operation{}, d, [:amount, :type]) |> validate_required([:amount, :type]) |> cast_embed(:item)

This throws an error:

** (UndefinedFunctionError) function Item.changeset/2 is undefined or private. Did you mean one of:

  * __changeset__/0

Item.changeset(%Item{id: nil, item_code: nil, item_name: nil}, %{"item_code" => "A1", "item_name" => "NameA1"})
(ecto) lib/ecto/changeset.ex:736: anonymous fn/4 in Ecto.Changeset.on_cast_default/2
(ecto) lib/ecto/changeset/relation.ex:111: Ecto.Changeset.Relation.do_cast/5
(ecto) lib/ecto/changeset/relation.ex:292: Ecto.Changeset.Relation.single_change/5
(ecto) lib/ecto/changeset.ex:715: Ecto.Changeset.cast_relation/4

Been stuck on this for a while and I can’t find a working example of how to do this online, any ideas what I’m doing wrong here?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

davydog187

davydog187

Take a look at the documentation for cast_embed

Specifically, note the :with option which states

:with - the function to build the changeset from params. Defaults to the changeset/2 function in the embed module

Basically, when you call cast_embed, it implicitly calls Item.changeset/2, but since you don’t have one defined its erroring out. You want to add a def changeset(changeset, params) function in your Item module

r11na

r11na OP

Thanks, can you give an example of how that would be done with my above structs?
I’m still trying to get it working but frustratingly just getting errors…

joaquinalcerro

joaquinalcerro

This post is a cast_assoc example but should apply to cast_embed. Check it out:

Best regards,

davydog187

davydog187

you want something like

defmodule Item do
  use Ecto.Schema

  embedded_schema do
    field :item_code, :string
    field :item_name, :string
  end

  def changeset(schema, params) do
    schema
    |> cast(params, [:item_code, :item_name])
  end
end
r11na

r11na OP

Many thanks, that helped immensely and I get the gist of how it works now!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews