BartOtten
How do you all enter the pipe operator |> on your keyboard? I keep having troubles with it ![]()
Trending in Dev Env & Tools
I have really enjoyed dialing in a set of static analysis tools and skills that help me help LLMs write better code. One gap I haven’t se...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Eiji
What do you mean? Is it about your keyboard layout making it hard or something like that? It’s not clear what you are asking about … For me this question sounds like
How do can breathe?.I’m entering it without really thinking how to do it - simply by a lot of practice I don’t have to look at keyboard and as everything else I just type … I guess you mean something different (like problem with keyboard layout), right?
AstonJ
I guess he means is there an easier way to do it than
shift+|then>with shift still held downdanik292
I think you can somehow remap your layout but I am not sure.
Eiji
Well … depending on hardware, OS and other software there is always an option to remap some key and use it to insert many characters, but it sounds really overcomplicated for me. I’m even not sure if it’s worth to spend time on searching how to do that, testing it and potentially some day also dealing with consequences of the remapped key.
I think that any serious player on keyboard market (especially in gaming branch) have a tool that can do that.
dorgan
I have a dedicated key for it in my moonlander layout of course: Oryx: The ZSA Keyboard Configurator
Same with thin and fat arrows in the symbols layer
cblavier
On the French keyboard the
|is ⌥ +⇧+L, not ideal but we get used to itBartOtten
This. I have small pinkies. The
|ain’t the issue on itself although I have to reach out quite far (for my linking), the subsequent movement to>is rather annoying.I already had remapped a few keys using Karabiner on macOS and wonder what tricks / remappings others might have to ease
|>.ps. The keyboard thread has inspired me to use homerow mods and I really like it. With Ctrl and Meta so easy to reach it’s almost time to Caps-tap to opening a custom keymap
lud
I made a vscode snippet for it, I just type
pp<tab>and it writes a pipe op.NickGnd
I feel you, I have a snippet for it when I type
pit suggests me the pipe operator, it works ok.@dorgan would you mind sharing your Moonlander layout, I have one too and I’m always curious to see others (here my layout).
axelson
On my keyboard layout (for Glove80/Ergodox EZ) I have a
_on my main layout (which I highly recommend for Elixir programming). And when I pressalt + _in emacs/VSCode a|>is inserted (I almost always want that space character as well).