thojanssens1

thojanssens1

Sometimes you require foreign key ids to be included in the user form data.

Imagine a dropdown list where the user has to select a “location” when creating an “event”. His locations are saved and the dropdown shows a limited list of locations available.

Context function might typically look like:

def create_event(attrs) do
  %Event{}
  |> Event.changeset(attrs)
  |> Repo.insert()
end

where the event changeset accepts a location_id key.

However, the user could send an ID not available from the dropdown (bypassing the form input); even a location ID that doesn’t belong to him but to another user from the database.

There would need to be some sort of authorization for all those relations coming from external user data.

How do/would you manage that in your application? Where do you enforce authorization?

My take: the context functions should take the current user and the authorization logic belongs in the context. (this logic shouldn’t be in the controller/resolvers/etc. because it would be needed in multiple places and could be forgotten; implementing it in the contexts gives more guarantees).

But it means that most of my context functions will take some current-user struct and I’m not sure this is a commonly seen pattern.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

joseph-lozano

joseph-lozano

FWIW, passing a user (or in one of the cases, a team) into context functions is a pattern I have seen in at least 2 codebases/companies.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Depending on your domain, consider making create_event take an already-found Location:

def create_event(location, attrs) do
  %Event{location: location}
  |> Event.changeset(attrs)
  |> Repo.insert()
end

As a bonus, Event.changeset doesn’t need to cast location_id at all - useful if “reassigning location_id” isn’t a meaningful operation in your domain.

chungwong

chungwong

You can consider using validate_change/3

You can validate based on the user_id and location_id in the attrs

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Dmk
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews