apoorv-2204

apoorv-2204

The Issue of Enums in Elixir

Elixir doesn’t have a native enum construct, so we usually rely on atoms, strings, or macros to represent named constants.

Observed Issues

String vs Atom:

Some contexts (like pattern matching or internal logic) prefer atoms, while others (like database fields or API responses) require strings.
Maintaining consistency across both can be cumbersome — I eventually prefer enums as strings for simplicity.

Compile-Time vs Runtime Checks:

We can emulate enums using function calls, but not within guards or compile-time contexts.
Macros can provide compile-time validation, but require the require keyword, which reduces simplicity.
There’s no built-in mechanism for enforcing enum constraints at both compile and runtime.

Questions:

How do you handle enums in your codebase?

Do you rely purely on atoms and type specs, or use macro-based libraries for safer compile-time checking?

Would a lightweight, language-level enum-like abstraction make sense for Elixir?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

garrison

garrison

Of course for database fields Ecto does support enums. For other stuff I generally use atoms and pattern matching. I wouldn’t necessarily be opposed to a native Enum construct but pattern matching and a public constant for enumeration gets you pretty much all of the way there.

I think the type system will help a lot, here (and Dialyzer already helps a bit). I always liked the string literal types in TS. We generally use atoms, but it’s the same idea. Types are most useful for tooling rather than type-checking (i.e. autocomplete).

garrison

garrison

Actually, one thing that does bother me is that there are a few different ways to implement constants and they all have different tradeoffs. I think this is a bit unintuitive.

@my_enum [:first, :second, :third]
def my_enum, do: [:first, :second, :third]
defmacro my_enum, do: [:first, :second, :third]

The third one is the only way to do pattern matching on constants from another module, yet that is the one which is not documented.

Schultzer

Schultzer

You forgot sigils

mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

Exactly. Basically, if one needs a compile-time validated enum with pattern-matching, sigil is the way to go. Just accept enum elements and raise otherwise. If a custom serialization is needed, a value can be backed by a module exporting the sigil and implementations of the respective protocols.

tcoopman

tcoopman

Can anyone give an example of the enum implementation with sigils?

mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure
defmodule MyEnum do
  defmacro sigil_MYENUM({:<<>>, _, [value]}, [] = _modifiers) do
    case __CALLER__.context do
      :match ->
        if value in ~w[one two], do: value, else: raise(value)
      _ ->
        if value in ~w[one two], do: value, else: raise(value)
    end
  end
end

defmodule TestMyEnum do
  import MyEnum

  def test(value) do
    IO.puts(~MYENUM[one])
    IO.puts(~MYENUM[two])

    case value do
      ~MYENUM[one] -> IO.puts("ONE MATCHED")
      ~MYENUM[two] -> IO.puts("TWO MATCHED")
    end

    ~MYENUM[three]
  end
end

This example is a bit overfilled with some shenanigans, but it’d give you a great start.

Asd

Asd

String comparison is linear and is always slower than atom comparison

Use tools which provide specs around APIs and databases. Consider GraphQL API with Absinthe or HTTP API with Oaskit, OpenApiSpex

What do you mean by “compile time checks”? You want to check that some function is always called only with some atoms? Dialyzer does that to some extent, but having stricter compile time checks requires static typing

I find this really funny

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews