shansiddiqui94

shansiddiqui94

Hello,

I am working on a new application with Elixir, Dish_out. I have run into a few minor problems that I am trying to figure out.

  1. My text box for the summary only allows for a certain amount of characters. How can I increase the number of characters inside the text box and also the text box itself? Here is my attempt at this
schema "delish_foods" do
    field :date, :integer
    field :ingredients, :string
    field :summary, :string
    field :title, :string

    timestamps()
  end

   alter table(:delish_foods) do 
    modify :content, :text
   end
end
  1. is there a way to format the date input to add / or - to make it look cleaner rather than just numbers? perhaps a time/date library.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

f0rest8

f0rest8

  1. Some possible things to consider:
  • Do you have a validation that is restricting it? i.e. validate_length(:summary, max: 250)
  • Are you using something like the html helper textarea/3 from the docs for your input field?
  • If you share more of your code it would help people see what’s going on.
  1. There are libraries like Timex which have multiple format options. There’s also strftime/3 from Elixir’s Calendar module.
shansiddiqui94

shansiddiqui94 OP

I upload the code files on gitHub it is free to view

in your first bullet point you said if I am restricting anything

defmodule DishOut.Foods.Food do
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset

  schema "delish_foods" do
    field :date, :integer
    field :ingredients, :string
    field :summary, :string
    field :title, :string

    timestamps()
  end

  # alter table(:delish_foods) do 
  #   modify :content, :text
  # end
# The alter table I am increasing my char count to string over 255 for summary
  @doc false
  def changeset(food, attrs) do
    food
    |> cast(attrs, [:title, :ingredients, :summary, :date])
    |> validate_required([:title, :ingredients, :summary, :date])
  end
end

As you can see My changeset is not redistricting anything. Should I then add max: 250?

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

No, but You should show your form code…

String is limited to 255 char, but text is not.

It’s also strange to store date as integer, there are date and datetime types of fields.

shansiddiqui94

shansiddiqui94 OP

Form Code:

<.form let={f} for={@changeset} action={@action}>
  <%= if @changeset.action do %>
    <div class="alert alert-danger">
      <p>Oops, something went wrong! Please check the errors below.</p>
    </div>
  <% end %>

  <%= label f, :title %>
  <%= text_input f, :title %>
  <%= error_tag f, :title %>

  <%= label f, :ingredients %>
  <%= text_input f, :ingredients %>
  <%= error_tag f, :ingredients %>
<div class="summary">
  <%= label f, :summary %>
  <%= text_input f, :summary %>
  <%= error_tag f, :summary %>
</div>
  <%= label f, :date %>
  <%= number_input f, :date %>
  <%= error_tag f, :date %>

  <div>
    <%= submit "Save" %>
  </div>
</.form>
f0rest8

f0rest8

Try changing text_input in your summary section to textarea (thx @kokolegorille :blush:). Is that the behavior you’re looking for?

Also what @kokolegorille said about date and datetime field types.

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

textarea, withouth dash in between :slight_smile:

This is a string field… limited to 255, use text instead.

shansiddiqui94

shansiddiqui94 OP

Yes It created a bigger textarea input as per the box, but the amount of char is still the same limited to 255

f0rest8

f0rest8

In your schema update your summary to: field :summary, :text. You can see the supported mix phx.gen.schema types from docs.

shansiddiqui94

shansiddiqui94 OP

Good Afternoon,

I went ahead and changed the Filed in my Schema :summary, :text. I end up getting the Error invalid unknown type

I read the documents, and :text is supported in the Schema

== Compilation error in file lib/dish_out/foods/food.ex ==
** (ArgumentError) invalid or unknown type :text for field :summary
    (ecto 3.7.2) lib/ecto/schema.ex:2211: Ecto.Schema.check_field_type!/4
    (ecto 3.7.2) lib/ecto/schema.ex:1890: Ecto.Schema.__field__/4
    lib/dish_out/foods/food.ex:8: (module)
    (stdlib 3.15) erl_eval.erl:685: :erl_eval.do_apply/6
    (elixir 1.12.0) lib/kernel/parallel_compiler.ex:319: anonymous fn/4 in Kernel.ParallelCompiler.spawn_workers/7
kokolegorille

kokolegorille

It’s :binary in the migration.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews